It was exactly what I expected her to say, exactly what I expected the spy to try; to pass the blame off on a dead wolf. From an outside perspective, I too would have come to the same conclusion she had. But Gerlac was no coward. And no murderer at that either.

How could Hati be so adamant Loa was innocent even now?

My mate met my gaze with a passive expression, only I could read the argument in the depths of his cool amber eyes.

It is not her.

Are you not hearing what I am? I wanted to argue back.

He tore his gaze away to address his council. “The evidence that one might think points to Gerlac actually points towards another-“

“Why is the Lady Ingrid not here?” Sigurd interrupted. “If her father is dead, does she not take his place?”
And so our suspicion swung another way yet again.

“Your.seats on council are not granted by rights of blood,” Hati replied tightly. “Gerlac’s replacement will decided on by merit when the time is right, as of now Lady Ingrid is in mourning-"

“Mourning or under arrest?”

When Sigurd interrupted again, Hati let out a low growl that silenced even the sounds of breath. Leaning low over the table, eyes now as bright as the fire sparking behind us, he uttered lowly, “You forget your place Sigurd Sigisson. I am Alpha here. My mate is Alpha here. You sit here by the grace of our agreement.”

The challenging male stopped where he sat so his head fell forward, and tilted his chin to bare his neck. I felt the buzz of power in the air like a boost of confidence, finding the submission of a wolf who could be alpha in his own right exhilarating.

“What we should take away from this meeting is that Gerlac died a male with his honour intact and the wellbeing of the pack at the forefront of his mind,” I said softly. “He will be sent to the afterlife in the ways of his religion with no stain to his name. His being arrested was all part of our plan and he willingly agreed to remain imprisoned despite the upset it caused the lady Ingrid. Spread this news. . .and while it is important to keep the fact we have cornered out spy a secret, you may confide in those closest to you if they can be trusted, so that they may find some peace and feel safe within the pack once more.”

Loa frowned at this where others appeared relieved, still with a healthy dose of concern, but a glint of hope this would all be over soon. Harald patted a hand on Helga’s shoulder, his pup who’d taken Magne’s spot while he was away with the others defending the human port that was intrinsic to our survival here.

“It’ll all be over soon,” he said with a tight smile. Helga smiled back.

My gaze scanned the rest of the table and was relieved to find no further questioning of our lie. Faces were strained, wary, even grief stricken, but they readily accepted the fact Gerlac was innocent, all except Loa, and they all accepted we were closing in on who’d betrayed us. Except, while Loa did appear somewhat distressed, her fingers tapping on the tabletop while she stared into the distance, I heard no stutter of fear or panic in her breath. Perhaps having sensed me staring, her dark gaze flew up to mine. Tears still shimmered in their depths, and she swiped them away with a subtle flick of her hand before she slowly rose.

“Is that all you need us for?”

“Yes, my lady,” Hati answered.