Chapter 8: Charlie!

1k

1k

Christian had gone nuts preparing everything for their trip to the next race, going over the top to ensure Max would be comfortable during the flight and thoroughly entertained so as to not be distracting or accidentally annoying to the other few passengers on the very long multi-scale private flight to Melbourne.

"Liebe, he will most likely sleep most of the way..." his husband tried to reason seeing the absurd amount of entertainment and activities Christian was packing.

"Toto, have you ever seen Max bored?" Christian continued his self-appointed task, he had gotten a little of everything, from coloring books to a tablet full of movies and from story books to all kinds of fidget toys. "When that boy is bored only chaos is sure to follow," the blond, well more like salt and pepper these days, haired man assured, "besides we will be confined for hours at a time in a pressurized cabin 3,000 feet in the air with a hyperactive toddler, are you really blaming me for trying to be prepared?"

"No...," Wolff sighed, "but I still think you are going overboard," the Austrian looked at his man lovingly, amused and touched by how much Chris cared for his, no, their son, Max may have yet to warm up to him but any son of Christian was a son of his and he wouldn't have it any other way.

In the end, Toto was right, yet he would never dare say to his husband "I told you so", but Max had been happy enough to do anything his Checo suggested, so, they watched some movies, slept, and played with Pato and his toy cars, Danny even joined in for some of it.

Through it all they mentally prepared for what bringing a tiny Max to the paddock would bring their way, they had of course made plans and contingency drills to avoid any major issues, and they had made sure Max knew not to wander away and who to approach should anything happen, but that didn't mean there were no risks.

The Melbourne paddock greeted Checo and the de-aged Max with the familiar hum of anticipation that marked a race weekend. However, today, the atmosphere carried an additional layer of uniqueness – the sight of Checo with a child Max on his hip, both adorned in matching outfits, painted a scene that stood out amidst the usual racing fervor.

From the white sneakers to the beige pants, the Red Bull shirt, cap, and sunglasses, the duo sported identical attire. Checo, indulging Max's request to dress alike, saw no harm in embracing the child's whims, and the result was a charming spectacle that captured the attention of those around them.

 The miniature replica of the Red Bull Racing driver, complete with matching accessories, radiated an adorable charisma that drew smiles and curious glances from onlookers in the paddock.

Checo, his signature smile in place, navigated the bustling paddock with the child's small hand occasionally reaching out to point at various elements of the Formula 1 world that caught his eye.

As they strolled around, the pair approached the area where the Ferraris were stationed. Max, with his small frame elevated by the height of Checo's hip, spotted the familiar prancing horse, but, more importantly, someone he recognized.

"Charlie!" Max exclaimed with unbridled enthusiasm, his tiny hand waving vigorously. The affectionate nickname was little surprise to anyone who knew the pair, Charles Leclerc and Max Verstappen had long put their once youthful rivalries behind to become rather close friends, and the excitement in Max's voice melted the hearts of those who witnessed the endearing scene, clearly, this small Max had nothing but positive feelings towards the Ferrari.

Charles, who had been engrossed in a conversation with his teammate, turned toward the source of the enthusiastic greeting. The Monegasque driver's expression shifted from focused concentration to surprised delight as he saw the de-aged Max waving and calling out to him.

"Max! Hey there!" Charles responded with a warm smile, reciprocating the wave, and closing the distance offering a high-five to the kid as a greeting and a somewhat hesitant smile to Checo. Charles could only imagine what the Mexican was going through, he could never imagine him or his Calos going through something similar as smoothly as it looked Sergio was managing, but Checo was made of something so kind, selfless, and pure, and Charles thought that might be the only reason he might come out of all of this in one piece. 

As Max continued his lively interaction with Charles, Checo found himself engaged in a lighthearted conversation with Carlos Sainz, the other Ferrari driver and a close friend. The exchange flowed effortlessly in Spanish as they shared anecdotes and chuckled about the peculiarities of having a de-aged Max Verstappen around.

However, Max, perched on Checo's hip, suddenly noticed that his Checo's attention was momentarily directed elsewhere. In a swift and assertive move, the child Verstappen made his stance abundantly clear. The language barrier posed no obstacle as Max clung tightly to Checo's neck, his eyes fixed on Carlos with an unmistakable glare.

"Mijn Checo! Mijn!" (My Checo! Mine!) Max declared in Dutch, his possessive proclamation resonating with a fervor that transcended linguistic boundaries. The message, though perhaps not entirely understood in its linguistic nuances, was crystal clear – Checo belonged to him, and the little Verstappen wasn't willing to share his attentions.

Carlos, caught between surprise and amusement, chuckled at the adorable display of possessiveness, raising his hands in surrender and taking a step back. "Vale, tranquilito, Max. You can have him." (Alright, take it easy,) Checo, equally amused, exchanged a knowing glance with Carlos. "I don't want your Checo," Carlos smirks pulling Charles by the hip to stand closer to him surprising the Monegasque who blushed as bright red as their racing suits. "I have my Lord."

Max narrows his eyes at the Spaniard but nods seriously, they have an understanding.

----

I'll most likely add on to this chapter at some point, spent forever poorly editing the pic and now it's late but I wanted to post, so yeah it's short and not the greatest and it will be worked on and properly checked, and edited but whatever, enjoy?