peter johnson is here!

Start from the beginning

"what? mentally disturbed kids?"

sasha rolled her eyes at the boy. "apart from that. i mean, not human kids. or, not fully human anyway. half-human," she decided with a shrug.

"half-human and half-what? alien? are we, like, ET or something?"

"no, we are not half-alien. i think you know what the other half is," the brunette crossed her arms, waiting impatiently for percy to finally get it. 

"god." ding, ding, ding. sasha was so tempted. "half-god."

"mhm," she drew out with a nod. 

"you're father isn't dead, percy. he's an  olympian," annabeth told him.

"or a minor god," sasha piped in. maybe percy's dad was the minor god of toilets or something. hopefully

"that's...crazy." percy was really not a fast-learner, sasha decided.

"is it really? think about everything chiron taught us this year," sasha told him.

"yeah," annabeth agreed. "what's the most common thing gods did in the old stories? they ran around falling in love with humans and having kids with them. do you think they've changed that in the last few millenia?"

"old habits die hard," sasha shrugged.

"but those are just-". sasha knew percy was about to say myths. he reconsidered. "but if all the kids here are half-gods-"

"demigods," sasha corrected, "that's the official term. or half-bloods."

"then who's your dad?" 

annabeth's hands tighten around the pier railing. sasha couldn't personally relate, since her father was the immortal one and her mother was gone now, but she knew her bestfriend had a...complicated relationship with her dad. if not slightly toxic.

"apollo," sasha cut in to save annabeth from having to talk about the sensitive subject. "apollo's my dad."

"huh." he seemed slightly surprised by that.

"what?" sasha retorted, crossing her arms and raising her eyebrow. she was a daughter of apollo and proud to be. 

"nothing. i just- "

"yes?" sasha raised an eyebrow at the boys behaviour.

"it's stupid. but-" he seemed flustered. his ears were growing red and the green-eyed boy couldn't seem to get the words out. "i guess you kinda are a ray of sunshine." percy glanced to the side, down at the floor. anywhere except sasha. 

"huh." 

that was all she could say. 

sasha cast her mind back to the many times percy had called her a 'ray of sunshine' back at yancy. the times when she was too grumpy, or giving too much attitude for his liking. mostly on her period. sometimes not. okay, often not. it's not like he didn't give just as much attitude back with that snipy comment. 

sasha had never really thought about it that way before. i guess so, she thought. 

there was about a minute of awkward silence, neither addressing the comment the black-haired boy made.

"and you, annabeth?" percy broke the silence. 

this stupid, fucking idiot, there's no fucking way. 

annabeth froze again, then forcefully relaxed her shoulders. "my dad is a professor at west point," she said. "i haven't seen him since i was very small. he teaches american history."