Chapter 8

Picking at my food and lost in thought, I nearly miss Janine telling me her plan for our day over breakfast. Something about cherry trees and waterholes.

I ask Claudia to join, and she says yes without hesitation. I think she can sense my mood is low, and that I would benefit from the company of my best friend. Not to mention this gives her something better to do than sit around the manor with other staff.

Harold does not join us. A handmaiden accompanies the three of us as we tread toward the large forest on the edge of the manor's estate.

Janine attempts to educate us about these cherry trees and all their uses. I catch little more than that much of the manor's wooden floors are made of the cherry wood.

She also claims the wood is hardwood and great for furniture, but they elect to cut down as little timber as possible for two reasons: cherries are a favorite treat of this territory, and expert woodcarvers have taken to creating their art in living trunks instead.

I am unsure what she means by that until we're below the canopy of leaves and branches. I am almost immediately in awe.

Sculptures of every kind hold up these massive trees all over. At first I am left surprised they can even stand, but then remember that Janine claims the wood is strong and dense. Most of these carvings have many features of support, as well.

I spot a butterfly whose wings meet the trunk at the top and bottom of its wings. I appreciate the fine detail in creating contrast for its wings' patterns.

What is clearly a crown supports its host a few feet away. Jewels have been chiseled in, and I'm surprised how closely it resembles the one my father wears.

My personal favorite is an unbelievably intricate anatomical heart. I remember seeing a drawing of one in a textbook during my schooling, and this carving could be a replica. I imagine I can see it pumping the tree's essence up and down.

It would take hours, if not days, to study each different piece. It is clear that many artists have been creating this living gallery over a long period of time.

When we spot a carver in action an hour later, I am eager to watch him work. He introduces himself as Klaus, and explains that he is attempting to recreate his daughter's cat. He's managed to give the creature an effect of fur, and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Janine brings us back to the manor for lunch. Like breakfast, I pointedly avoid looking at Gavyn. I'm still trying to cope with my shame over my ignorance toward his own wellbeing in the prospect of an affair. I imagine I'll be kicking myself over it for a long while.

Once we are finished, I find myself excited for whatever Janine has planned. This time, Harold does tag along.

"The waterhole is my favorite," he states, and I give him a genuine smile. We've barely spoken since our argument the other night, and I'm glad to see a softer side of him. Despite our differences, I am wanting to learn about the man I am to share my life with.

And the waterhole doesn't disappoint. Del and Marty are already here, splashing around and causing a general ruckus.

I am almost immediately jealous of the boys. They dive underwater, splashing about and enjoying their time. I can imagine it's rather cold, as it's still early spring, but they don't seem to care. I can't remember the last time I was allowed to have unhindered fun like that.

Even now, it would be vastly inappropriate for me to strip down and jump in. Instead, we ladies are expected to lounge on long chairs set out around the clearing and bask in the sun.

I yearn to simply dip my toes in the water, if nothing more. But I fear this would be considered uncouth by Janine. So instead, I join her in the circle of seats.