Chapter 7

It's been three days since Gavyn was in my bedroom. It's been three days since he had me pushed up against my dresser. It's been three days since he kissed me in a way I'll never forget.

It's also been three days since the Spring Festival.

Everyone else's excitement has worn off, but I am still buzzing. Every so often, I find myself pressing my fingers to my lips, remembering the way Gavyn felt. Remembering all the dirty things I thought while he tasted my skin and began to undress me.

Claudia hasn't had a chance to tease me about it again. Unfortunately she's very busy, preparing for my trip to Wright with Harold to visit his family. I look forward to it. I'm hoping I get a chance to learn more about the "fussing" over Harold's disinterest in court while growing up there.

I'm looking forward to a trip away from this castle, as well.

But I'm also looking forward to the possibility of finding somewhere I can be isolated with Gavyn.

The idea sets my body on fire. A secret place for our secret rendezvous.

I've barely gotten the chance to talk to him since the Festival, and I'm worried it's intentional on his part. He seemed awfully distant every time I've tried to engage in conversation. And he no longer practices below my window.

Perhaps he struggles with these racing thoughts, as well. I wouldn't blame him if our moment scared him. It's not everyday a guard gets the chance to kiss a princess.

Regardless, we are to leave for Wright in the morning. Of course Harold would choose tonight to attempt another bout of intercourse.

I understand my duty, and I do not loathe the expectation for me to get pregnant. I simply do not appreciate that he acts like it's such a chore to bed his wife.

And that's exactly what I tell him as we make our way down the hallway, following Joel. Harold has made it a point to walk ahead of me, like he wants me to chase after him.

"It would be lovely for you to pretend you look forward to these nights," I mutter, feeling downtrodden and frustrated.

He freezes in place. Joel does as well, immediately tense. I nearly walk right into Harold's back.

My husband slowly turns, looking down his nose at me with a glare that could shrivel all the gardens in Spring Haven. "Pardon?"

I set my shoulders, not backing down. "You heard me."

His lips purse and his nostrils flare. "Listen here, Yvette." He starts to take slow steps, backing me up to the hallway wall. "Despite your lifetime of privilege, not all of your subjects grovel at your feet. I am your husband as much as you are my wife. I am the future king as much as you are the future queen. This may be hard for you to understand under all the perfumes and lovely gowns, but you are nothing but a mere woman. I bed you out of duty, not desire."

A lesser person may be rendered speechless, but I am no lesser. I am strong, and I am smart, and I am powerful.

"You listen here, Harold," I seethe, pushing a finger into his chest. His eyes widen. "I am Princess Yvette of Dormain, eldest child of King Forne and rightful Queen to the throne, and a child of Spring at that! You are here as an honor to your house. You are here as an honor to your territory. You are here as an honor from my father. That is it. An honor. You are entitled to nothing. And if I do not produce an heir, I am still an heir myself. You are simply a means to an end."

He opens his mouth as if to interject, but I raise my hand to shush him. "If you are so ignorant as to believe I am simply a 'mere woman,' so be it. But the kingdom rejoiced for my birth, as they rejoiced for my wedding, and as they will rejoice for my child." My lips curl up at his flinch.