Chapter 1

I love Spring more than any other season, not just because my birthday falls in there. I can't stand the heat of Summer, as I hate to sweat. It ruins my dresses and my hair and any makeup I choose to wear. I also hate Fall because it's much too dreary, and everyone starts pulling attempts to scare others. They'll tell ghost stories and put up decorations that jump from the high ceilings.
But most of all, I hate Winter. The cold. The constant wet shoes from the snow, even though the guards do everything in their power to melt it away from our walkways.

There's a reason why they say children born in the Winter are cursed. I'm told the kingdom sighed in relief when I wasn't born until Spring, as a Spring child is a good omen. A symbol of rebirth. A sign that change is coming.

But more than that, my father as king has put them on edge. He was the only son of his father, king before him. And he was born in Winter. If his father had sired another child born in another season, even if my father was the oldest, the succession would've gone to another. But alas, there was no other option.

Luckily I was born in Spring, so my younger siblings will never be considered unless I pass or become ill or pregnant out of wedlock. They say that every variety of flower began to bloom the day I was born. They say a lot of things.

My father's court says I am too willful. My mother's court says I have too much interest in the dealings of men. This has never made sense to me. I will be Queen someday. Should I not pay attention to politics and foreign affairs?

But it is no secret that the people adore me, and I adore them in return. Even as a child, I couldn't stand those in the court that were my age. I found their activities to be repulsive. Why do they want to hunt and shoot animals? Or embarrass the good men and women who work in the castle by tripping them and greasing stairs? Children in the village play with sticks and milk bottles. They run and hide amongst the trees and creeks. I've always hated getting my clothes dirty, but when I was young, I didn't let that get in the way of having fun.

I am not romping in the woods with villagers anymore. Much too unladylike, my mother and her court said. When I had my first bleeding, I was stripped of my privileges to even go into town at all. They said a developing princess was too sweet of a target, as if villagers could smell the changes happening in my body. As if they are animals with a different level of senses. Absurd. I've been kept in this boring castle ever since.

There are still people worth befriending here. My chambermaid is lovely. Several guards are friendly enough to have a full conversation with. But my seamstress, dear Claudia, is my best friend. Despite the resentment this causes in ladies of the court, including my ladies in waiting, I cannot help but seek Claudia for companionship.

When I am not with Claudia, learning to sew, or with the guards, learning about the secrets of the castle, I attend to my royal duties. A necessary sacrifice to prove I am fit to rule this kingdom someday.

Which brings us to today. Today we meet my suitors, and my father will pick my husband. Tomorrow I marry.

Tomorrow is my 22nd birthday, and it is customary that I wed that day. Do I want to marry? No. But I am lucky to be my father's heir, and I know whoever becomes my husband will have no power over me.

Not even the power of taking my maidenhead. I made sure of that. Young courtiers are more than eager to get their piece of a princess. Though most of those boys couldn't offer more than a few moments of sweaty grunts and sloppy neck kisses, there were only so many options to take that event for myself. To have just a bit of control over my own life. To make that decision for myself, instead of letting it be my father's.

No one will ever know except for me, and that naive son of a lord. And if he ever breathes a word, he knows I could flip the blame around to him. He wouldn't dare risk being accused of defiling a princess. So my secret is safe.