Chapter 2

As Harold and I make our way down the hallway, I am aware that both our personal guards are following us. Gavyn is following us.

In my head, I decide I will welcome him personally as soon as I get a chance. It's simply the polite thing to do.

"Yvette is a lovely name," Harold says, dragging me out of my thoughts.

"Thank you," I reply with a small smile. "What is Wright like?"

He waves a hand as if dismissing the question. "I'm sure there's nothing interesting to you about Wright."

And I'm sure there is! I wouldn't have asked otherwise. I love to learn about the different territories in our kingdom when I get the chance to ask those that have been there. I can't even count the amount of times I've asked Regis or Claudia about the Lowlands. Our staff come from all over the land.

Harold wipes at the fabric on his chest as if trying to rid himself of lint or dirt. "I'm sure you're wondering about our clothing." He's awfully sure of many things. "The fashion of Wright is nothing compared to that of the capital. Though, I would love to see you in our village's blue."

I curl my lips into a fake smile again. "I will have to share your request with my seamstress, Claudia." No use in telling him that I hate blue as it contrasts the green of my eyes.

"Claudia?" he scoffs. My back straightens of its own free will. "You refer to your seamstress by her name?"

This time I don't hide my frown. "Well of course, it's her name. She's not just a seamstress. In fact, I address all of the staff by their names. It is the least I can do to show respect for the good work they do."

Harold gives me a glance out of the side of his eye, the corners of his lips turned down. "Indeed."

Before either of us can think of something else to say, an usher named Joel steps in front of us. "Princess," he acknowledges me with a smile, which I return. He turns his attention to Harold. "My Lord, may I show you to your chambers?"

"Of course," he responds in a tone that leads me to believe he loves being referred to by his title.

I fight pressure in my chest from an usher being told to guide us. I know Harold's chambers will be directly next to mine, as there is a shared bedroom between us that will serve as our consummation bed tomorrow. We will sleep separately most nights, but will meet in that room regularly to attempt creating an heir. It is customary that Harold be led to his room, but it would be inappropriate for me to do it myself.

With Joel near, I don't feel compelled to continue conversation with Harold. He is busy taking in the details of each hallway we walk through, each room we pass. I sometimes point out certain features or memories, but it doesn't seem to mean much to Harold.

Finally, we reach our wing. We will be moved to chambers in a different wing once I am queen.

"My Lord." Joel sweeps his arm to a door near the beginning of the wing. There is only one entrance to each set of chambers from this hallway. The only other door here is to my own chambers. "Your personal maids and attendants are on call at all times. Just ring your bell if you are in need of anything. A bath is already drawn for you."

Harold nods curtly, dismissing Joel. "Thank you, Joel," I say quietly with a smile. Joel smiles as well before bowing and heading back the way we came. Harold watches me with slightly narrowed eyes.

I pretend not to notice. "Well, I look forward to tomorrow. It has been lovely. Goodnight." I attempt to step away but his hand squeezes my arm.

He is bold for someone currently no more than a lord. He is not my consort yet. To hold a princess against her will is an act of aggression.