3

The next morning...

"Sayora, how was your day yesterday? You've been oddly quiet." Lucy got my attention.

I rolled over onto my stomach and cleared my throat. "It was good, as usual. I can't complain."

"You work in the gardens, right?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"What's it like? We've never been."

"Oh, it's beautiful. I'm very grateful for my position."

Lucy exchanged a look with Emma, and I eyed them as they sat across from me on Lucy's bottom bunk. Everly cleared her throat and shook her head, but Lucy continued anyway. "Can I ask you a serious question?"

I sat up. "Yes, I'm listening."

"Do you remember when Rosie and Sasha made fun of you at the waterfall?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"Do you remember telling us that Rosie seemed angry when you mentioned your position in the gardens?"

"Yes."

"Okay, so Emma, Everly, and I have been thinking lately, and we want to know if you knew the rarity of a servant getting promoted on their first day?"

"Promoted?"

"Yes. New servants are supposed to get the lowest positions. In a way, it's like a rite of passage. Everyone must start in the barns, fields, barracks, or dwellings. Well, everyone except you. You've managed to escape every humbling experience, which is too suspicious if you ask me," Lucy continued.

"I didn't mean to escape them. Ms. Rita assigned me to the courtyard."

"Yes, but why? Why would she promote you to a medium-level position when you haven't proven yourself?"

"Well, I—"

"We want to know if you're one of Ms. Rita's spies," Emma interjected. "We gossip a lot amongst ourselves and need to know if we can trust you."

I frowned as I glanced at Everly. I've only been here a few days, and people are already suspicious of me. If I knew the topic of my position would offend everyone, I wouldn't have said anything. I thought people would be happy for me, but I spoke too soon.

"Sayora, I know you're not a rat, but Lucy and Emma aren't convinced. I hope you don't think we're being mean." Everly touched my hand.

"I see where you all are coming from, but I'm not a spy."

"Only a spy would say they're not a spy." Emma raised her brow at me. "You're far too pretty to tell fables, Sayora."

"I'm not a spy," I insisted.

Emma leaned forward and examined my face. "Okay, I believe you." She sat back while Lucy crossed her arms.

"If you're not a spy, then why did—"

"My mother used to work in the castle," I blurted out.

"Really?" Emma gasped. "That's so cool. What did she do?"

"She was a healer."

"A healer!?" They all yelled simultaneously.

"Yes, but now she's bedridden due to her accident."

"Oh no. What happened?" Everly got up and sat beside me.

"Well, I never asked for the full story. All I know is that my mother fell from a great height, and now she can't move her lower body. I'm only here because she can't work, and our family needs the money."