Chapter 27: The Beginning Of The End

Start from the beginning

His eyebrows glued together as he seemed to be thinking. “You're helping me to stay on the football team with good grades so I have a chance of getting into a good college.”

I blushed and tucked a few pieces of hair behind my ears shyly with both hands.

“Thanks.”

“No, seriously,” his eyes never left my face as he spoke and I looked down, studying the many opened books and practice test papers that were scattered along the glass that laid flat on top of the wooden desk when his stare became unbearable to hold.

“You did what many tutors who tutored me for weeks couldn't do within the very first week of studying. Now my grades are no longer filled with just F's and D's.”

He inhaled deeply before slowly exhaling. “Also, I'm glad you came back into my life, Nessy. I really missed hanging out with you even though our friendship mostly revolves around the time when we were just two little delusional ten or eleven year old kids running around the house and pretending to be the ultimate power rangers so many years ago.” 

“We thought we were so Badass back then," I joked and we shared a soft chuckle,  reminiscing about the past. 

I couldn't help turning to Dontae and studying his beautiful features as he laid a few meters away on the large sofa. 

His head was now bent low as he stared at his phone's screen. 

He really did change a lot since we were younger. Just like I have changed. And I'm not just talking about physical features. 

Well, for me, I prefer to think of my change as me reverting into a lost part of my old self which was always open to new things. The part of me that I had lost after that tragic day. I always admired that part of me because I wasn't so terrified of the world or fearful of confrontation. 

I didn't say it outloud, but I was secretly glad that Dontae had come back into my life on that beautiful evening when I had made the big decision to go to the gala with my dad.

“You know,” he began softly.

I gave him my full attention. He had lifted his head upwards, away from the phone's screen to look at me. 

“We have been hanging out for a while now and I think maybe I'm slowly fa—”

Just then a sharp ‘ping!’ disturbed his sentence and I watched curiously as Dontae's eyes flew to the screen.

In the blink of an eye, his face contorted into a blank expression which he seemed to have mastered over the past few years. He really was the son of two great business people. His body tensed and his eyes were absent of any particular emotion as he continued to stare at the brightly lit screen.

I didn't need to be smart to pick up on the fact that something was definitely wrong.

“Is everything ok?” I queried, giving into my annoying curiosity. 

His eyes flitted to mine and I searched his dark mocha brown eyes for an inkling of what he was feeling.

He didn't say anything. He just flipped his large, shiny black phone in my direction. 

The bright screen seemed distorted, giving off a pixel-like effect before the shakiness cleared and the grainy view formed a perfect image.

And what I saw caused my throat to dry up completely.

It was me.

Kissing Sean.

Holy fu—

“When were you planning on telling me that you were this cozy with Sean Charlton?”