𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

You watched in horror, your mouth standing agape as a shiver ran down your spine at the sight of the dark lines appearing on Yuji's skin. The marks, starting from his forehead down to his jaw, showing up one after another, leaving you speechless at the very second he opened his eyes again. His face – bruised and beaten before – now healed like there was never even a scratch on his skin.

It looked flawless again. And somehow, he looked way more mature than before – His child-like features suddenly changed for something much more sinister.

Ryomen Sukuna.

You've heard of him before, but never seen him until now.

You never even thought you'd see him. Ever.

The more than a thousand-year-old king of curses.

You didn't even know he already had a vessel for his power, you just knew how much Kenjaku told you – which was not enough apparently. As soon as you locked eyes with him, two more eyes appeared to your shock and a brief moment later, he was gone.

With your heartbeat racing, you turned around to see Yuji – No, Sukuna – standing there, casually with his hands in his pockets and just smirking at your confused expression. He was fast. Maybe even faster than Mahito was.

In comparison to Mahito's, Sukuna's smirk was more of a malicious nature as he strolled towards your frozen form. You inched back just a few steps, in fear of his attack, but as your heel hit the ground, Mahito was already leaping forward to Sukuna.

You couldn't even comprehend what was happening in the next few seconds, you only saw glimpses of both of them wildly dodging each others attacks, then hitting again and the whole process on repeat for a few minutes. With wobbly knees you stumbled back, trying to at least get the second cursed object, that was still in the library - now that you had lost the first one.

Every few steps, you looked back to see them still fighting and you averted your gaze to the entry in front of you again. You sped up, your feet moving faster and faster as you came closer to the desired building but upon turning your head, you were abruptly stopped.

With your lips pressed into a thin line, you came to a stop and managed to not fall down at the sudden hindrance in your way. Your brows knit together in aggravation, and you drew your Katana as fast as possible aiming for Sukuna's throat. The blade was pointed right to his neck as you stepped up to him.

His smirk got darker as you gritted your teeth, waiting for his move.

"Oh look at her! How brave! Almost a pity that I have to kill you, brat." Sukuna mused in his deep voice, making you shudder from the powerful tone that he was using.

Like you were worth nothing, and you didn't matter anyway. You were going to show him how much he underestimated you.

Nobody would even try to hurt you with the power you could hold – You were the one that could possibly be the death to every curse user or sorcerer.

If you wanted to, you could erase the whole world and start anew. If only you could get a hold of your little stolen treasure.

You drew in a sharp breath, turned on your heel to swing back and lunged forward to slice his ankles.

Your eyes widened at the sight of Sukuna dodging your slashing hit, that should have easily reached him and at least made him a little slower – but it didn't. Continuing your dance with your blade against him, he was able to dodge almost every attack, but you did so too and you could almost see him lose his temper at the speed you were throwing your Katana at him.

Faster and faster, you moved like you had never done something else, even Mahito was trying to chime in, but you cut him off right away stealing the show and still showing Sukuna everything you had to offer.

The battle got more heated as time went on and the air was dusty, almost unable to see through the clouds of sand that formed as you were fighting.

Suddenly, a sharp pain shot through your waist up to your head and back down to your toes.

Your vision got blurry as you looked to your side hurriedly, thinking Sukuna had switched places but your confusion just went through the roof when you saw Mahito standing there with his foot still in the air after his kick to your hips.

"What the...?" you yelped, coughing and holding your side to soothe the throbbing pain that still radiated through every pore of your body when you met Mahito's devious smile.

Sukuna mirrored his smirk as he let a wall of stone shoot towards Mahito, who jumped up, avoiding the rocks that were thrown at him.

Because of the pulsing pain that sent waves of agony through your body, you weren't able to get out of the way in time, and while stumbling and landing on your back, all you could see were boulders raining down on you. There wasn't even enough time to use your curse technique, the stones would come tumbling down on you in a mere fraction of a second.

Too slow.

You pressed your eyes shut, cringing in anticipation of the rocks crushing your bones and you could feel them, slowly raining down on you. First there were only small pebbles, then they got bigger and it started to hurt – Really badly. You curled up to reduce the damage, but as you concentrated on getting out of range you could only hear muffled sounds through the trickling on the ground beside you.

"Self-Embodiment of perfection."

Mahito...

He used his domain? Why?

He wasn't weak, but not exactly strong either – at least not in the same way, you were. You were blessed in hand-to-hand combat, wielding your sword and dodging attacks like a goddess.

Mahito's specialty on the other hand was his cursed energy, his domain expansion and his versatility.

The next rock that fell from the air, hit your head on an inconvenient spot, and you fell over. Your body was limp and the thoughts that still roamed your head vanished instantly as your consciousness slipped away and you passed out.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"You're trying to hurt me by touching my soul?"

"Why... W-Why are you..."

"Tch..."

Sukuna scowled, leaning down with his chin resting on his knuckles.

"I used... my domain..."

Mahito's expression turned from amused to frightened, his forehead covered with cold sweat.

"Would have been better for you if you didn't. Brat."

A dark chuckle sounded in the emptiness.

"I don't care if you live or die."

Mahito tried to crawl back on all fours, trying to get out of wherever he was right now before he couldn't do it anymore.

His eyes popped open as the blood seeped out of a gushing wound on his chest, and his shuddering gaze was fixed on the puddle of crimson liquid that formed underneath him.

More and more.

It was flowing out of him without stopping anytime soon.

The earth shook as the walls of Mahito's domain shattered and he was left outside, the wound still spitting blood as his eyes glanced over to you, buried beneath a mountain of rocks and Yuji's body beside yours.

Lifeless. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━