𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

Each step in the seemingly empty hallway was carefully planned. You knew where you had to go. You tiptoed along the wall as you spotted Mahito guarding the area outside, looking for any trouble that could have been there, but it was silent – inside and outside. 

The wooden floor was creaking every time your feet hit the ground, and with every sound you made the tension was growing more and more. You looked around nervously, your eyes scanning every corner and every crevice of the long, illuminated hallway as you almost floated around the edge of the wall to the other side of the building – slowly, carefully taking in your surroundings.

Glancing outside, you couldn't see Mahito anywhere, and you figured that he must have moved to keep the area free of any troublemakers. 

Where is the library? Kenjaku told you, you needed to just enter and then turn right after the long hallway but there was nothing there and all the rooms were closed up, the whole building was completely empty as it seemed. 

You wanted to walk normally, since you couldn't hear anything for the last twenty minutes and straightened yourself from the crouched position that made your back hurt already. Nobody was here. You were sure now and didn't care to watch your every move anymore as you strolled around, trying to open the locked doors – one after another.

The hallway took another turn to the left and you peeked around the corner, looking for any people. Nothing. No – wait. There was something. 

You squinted, your eyes focusing on the last end of the hallway, and you could see it. The sliding door stood open, and you could make out books, shelves and a table. That must be it. The library. Turning your head one last time, you checked everything around you before you sped through the corridor. 

The pace you picked up slowed and came to a complete stop in front of the door, and you studied the empty room with all of the books carefully sorted in the shelves. Everything had its place and every shelf had been labeled, much to your advantage.

'Curses'

'Exorcising cursed spirits'

'Cursed objects'

...

Your eyes flew over the spines of the books, and you turned around to the other side of the room looking for any clue of where the finger could be stored. Walking around the desk silently, you opened the drawer and rummaged through the stuff that was inside. There was everything from notes, to scrambled paper, pens and markers but nothing worth keeping. 

The second drawer that you opened was filled to the brim with handwritten pages, carefully sewn together like a notebook. Your fingers trailed over the letters that were engraved on the paper, admiring the beautiful handwriting. 

It looked like every word had been neatly placed where it belonged, every letter a wonder on its own. 

In contrast to this font, your handwriting looked like it was coming from a toddler. You gaped at the incredibly good-looking sentences as you flicked through the pages and wondered who it could have been that this belonged to. 

The last page though, provided more insight on the person that wrote this summary of curses and how to exorcise them right with a special technique.

This had to be the person this book belonged to, with the most perfect handwriting you had ever seen.

You shook your head, banning the possible appearance of this person out of your mind as you swiftly went over to look at the shelves at the back of the room. Glancing through the items that were displayed there, something caught your eye and you stepped up to take a closer look. 

A rectangle made out of wood was placed at the very back of the shelves, right behind a few other things, a fancy chalice, seemingly a replica of some kind of gavel and a miniature of a weird dagger looking sword. You forrowed your brows in confusion as your fingertips brushed against the metal items and shoved them out of the way. 

You were still listening closely for any sounds around you, but it was dead silent in the whole building. The wood that the box was made of was already worn down badly, different stains and colors all over it, which made you suspicious as you examined it in your hands.

Upon shaking it lightly, you heard faint clacking against the inside of it, and assuming it was indeed the finger of Sukuna that you were looking for, you tried finding a way to open it – just to be sure. They weren't really thinking when they stored it inside the library, anyone could have just walked in and stolen it, if they wanted to. 

There were no safety measures as far as you were concerned, nobody was guarding the place and even the library door stood open. What kind of people would trust others that much?

"Tch... Idiots." You let out a sharp breath, shaking your head at their stupidity of leaving the place unattended, even though they knew you were looking for those items. And leaving the door open as well? Dumb. Just dumb. 

You turned around before leaving the silent room, when you had to look twice at the box beside the door. With your eyes widened in surprise, you stepped closer and saw that there was in fact another box – looking exactly the same as the one you put into the front pocket of your tied kimono. 

No way – Why would they store two fingers in the same place? Are they serious? Nobody could have been that stupid, not even them. You tilted your head, looking at the box in indecision, thinking about taking it right away, but if something were about to happen on your way out, you'd be left with nothing.

Contemplating about taking the second finger with you, you mindlessly bit your lip and decided to get one finger out first, check if everything is safe and let Mahito take care of it while you get the second one.