3.

"Good morning Mrs.Car- I mean Knowles.... sorry. Anyways, you have a 2 pm appointment that I pushed to 4 because your sister Solange wanted to have lunch with you. I also have your emails sent out for the day so that way you can focus on finding stylists, i know you haven't been on much of a search lately but having free time would definitely help you get more accomplished." Janessa said as she scrolled through her iPad following me around.

I sighed and rubbed my temples lightly, knowing that I needed some caffeine before I deal with all of this bullshit today. I had three celebrity clients coming in and they were very demanding women. I wanted to make sure they were a priority and received superb customer service.

"Okay and how about Janet is she still coming in?" I said as I grabbed my caramel macchiato from Janessa.

"Yes, she's scheduled for 9 am, so I made sure to leave that time open for her," Janessa replied.

"Perfect. Thank you for taking care of everything. I really appreciate it," I said sincerely.

Janessa smiled and nodded, "Of course, Mrs. Knowles. I'll make sure everything runs smoothly for you today, oh and by the way you have an incoming call from Jay on the other line, should I add him in?"

I was hesitant at first because I was in such a good mood and didn't have time for his childish shit or broken promises today. Calling me from jail... trying to get back into my life one way or another as if were already not divorced.

"I honestly don't want to but I guess you can add him... " I sighed.

While I walked into my office I put in my wireless headphones and answered Jay's call. He was quiet some time before responding and I could tell he was a bit emotional. I decided to be nice and go easy on him with my pre-rehearsed smart remarks and snappy attitude.

"Hey, Jay... are you okay? Your homie told me you got in some trouble and they moved you." I said in a low tone, trying to make sure that people passing by wouldn't hear me.

I heard him wince in pain and it made my heart drop. I immediately closed my office door and began to panic.  "Jay baby please.... tell me what's wrong."

"I got in a fight and wack ass dude pulled out a shank, and stabbed me twice." He said lowly.

I bit down on my lip knowing I said I wasn't going to visit him but now that he was injured I knew I needed to check on him. even though we weren't on the best terms... I  hated that he was in discomfort.

"did you get in trouble for fighting even though you were doing good?" I said in a mentally drained state holding back tears. I wanted this big nightmare to just go away.

"Nah ma... I am very well-behaved here. I want to get out and be there for the kids. I promised you. And i have even been taking my meds... I swear I'm trying to make it home." he reasoned.

I felt a mix of emotions, relief that he was okay and doing his best to stay out of trouble, but also sadness that he was going through this alone.

"meds?" i repeated

Jay paused for a moment before responding, his voice confident and calmer than I ever heard it. "yeah... basically they confirmed that I have bipolar disorder, and I have PTSD. I guess the streets really fucked me up." he laughed with evident pain in his voice.

I felt my heart break for him even more. I knew he struggled with his mental health before, but to hear him say it out loud made it feel more real. I took a deep breath and tried to compose myself before responding.

"Anyways i deposited about 20k to your bank account baby, take care of that for me." He said in a loving tone, damn i loved his hood ass.

"Okay..." I said. "also Jay, I know things have been rough between us lately but I still care about you. I don't care about us not being together. You will always be my first love and the father of my children. I'll come visit you tomorrow and make sure you're okay. Just focus on getting better and staying out of trouble, okay?" I said, trying to comfort him as best as I could.