Hunter: To new beginnings (2/3)

Everything was quieter in bar than you would have liked. You didn't know when you had found discomfort in the echoing silence, but you had. And it had lingered. Like a festering wound. Or a near fatal scar. Mirroring the physical one crawling down your neck to your left shoulder. Rolling your still sore joint, you realized that it was about time to change out the bandages again.

You had been running low on medical supplies a few cycles ago, but thankfully your newest mission from Cid had bestowed enough credits that you were able to buy a handful of new ones. And several bacta patches. Maker knows you needed them. Not that you should. Your eyes flickered up to the only two patrons left in the dimily lite room.

When had your life restored to this?

Working in a dirty bar when you weren't off doing simple missions for Cid. Barely scraping by. This wasn't living. You sighed. No it wasn't. But it was surviving and that's all you had anymore. Everything else—good in your life was gone. Replaced in the blink of an eye just like whatever remained of the Republic.

The impact of it all weighed heavily on you. Just as the emerald ring around your neck did. The power such a small object could have on a person. The promises it once meant, now scattered across the winds.

When you drunkenly confided in Cid about Hunter, not by name though, she told you to move on. Said it be better for you if you just got rid of the painful memories and put it behind you. Maybe she was right. It didn't do well to dwell on painful memories. Unfortunately you couldn't though.

You tried to. Or thought about it at the very least. But you just couldn't. Wouldn't. Dangerous as hope was now, you still clung to it. To the hope that Hunter was alive. That he was okay. Somewhere he was out there.

In the back of your mind though was the notion that he—that he had turned. Like the other clones.

If it was as widespread as the clone commander who rescued you said it was, then the probability that it had affected Hunter and clone force 99 was highly likely. Hell, they probably were affected. No doubt running around the galaxy doing the Empire's dirty work.

You sighed, more emotions bubbling up to the surface. They had no choice, however. The had been forced against their own will to be the Empire's own personal attack dogs. Fighting against such a powerful corruptive force—Anyone would have struggled to resist it.

Even Hunter. Who you knew was as stubborn as he was strong.

You just wished you knew what the hell had happened to him. And the rest of clone force 99. Though there was no guarantee that you'd like the results if you did...

But dwelling on it wouldn't do you any good. Even If they were out there and by some miracle without their chips activated then you'd be lucky if you ever saw them again. Everything was uncertain at this point. Like you they were probably keeping a low profile. Taking odd jobs to live and survive. It's what any remnants of the Republic were doing now. Keep your head low and survive. That was the new motto.

"Look what the lothcat dragged in?" Cid harshly quipped coming out of her office. "You boys are late".

"Technically we are on time". You knew that voice. Could recognize it anywhere. Your eyes widened and immediately shot up. Your body halted as your eyes locked onto the all too familiar group.