4 - Dante's Supply Run

"Hey there, Finch." Dante gave Arthur Finch a lazy salute with his brother's wand as he walked up to the group. "How's it going?"

Lunette dashed up to bump heads with her brother Oregano.

Arthur goggled at him. "Umm...fine?" His eyes darted nervously to the two older students corralling him. 

"Hi, I'm Dante. Dante Delmar," Dante introduced himself to the Year 3 boy with the tortoiseshell cat. 

"Jasper," the boy replied. 

"Delmar as in Santiago Delmar?" The girl with the ferret asked. 

"Yep, he's my brother."

"No kidding!" she exclaimed.

"Who?" asked Jasper, frowning at her. 

"You haven't heard of Santiago Delmar? He's at the top of the semi-pro dueling league. Probably going to go pro as soon as he turns 18. He's got a wicked-fast Freeze cast. Wait, is that his wand?!"

"Yeah, he gave me his old one recently. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet." Dante flipped and twirled the wand in a fancy way that made Lunette want to chase it. If only it was a little closer to the ground. 

The tortoiseshell cat clearly felt the same way. She stopped glaring at Oregano and followed the wand with her eyes. 

Dante beamed. "It's nice to see people from different houses being friendly. So many schools make everyone compete against each other, and it's such a pain. Finch, you haven't got your stuff yet, right? Wanna visit the tuck shop? Hey, if I have cash left over I'll get some snacks to share. What do you two like?"

"Your brother sponsors those mint thins, right? You should get some of them!" the girl laughed. "I'm Georgie by the way."

"Nice to meet you!" Dante grabbed Arthur's shoulder and pulled him from their midst. "Come on. Lunette, you wanted some cod liver oil, right?"

Lunette mewed excitedly, and she and Oregano bounded after their witches towards the tuck shop. When she caught up, Dante scooped her up and held her to his chest, and she could feel his heart hammering again. 

"Let me know if they're following, alright, Lu?" Dante whispered to her. 

Lunette looked over his shoulder. The two older students were watching them go, but looked relaxed and were chatting. She purred to let Dante know the coast was clear. 

Arthur looked at Dante, then peeked back at the students who had been harassing him. "Is Santiago Delmar really your brother?" he whispered, scooping up Oregano. 

"Actually, yeah," Dante let out a quiet, nervous laugh. 

"Thanks for coming over. I'm not good with, well, that kind of thing."

"I could tell. Is it your first time at a boarding school?"

"Yes, but my family isn't very far away. I'll be able to go home on the weekends." 

"That sounds nice. My mother's in Argentina at the moment, though she said she'd visit for the holidays," Dante said wistfully. Lunette head-butted his cheek, and he laughed. 

They reached the tuck shop: Featherby's Fine Confectioneries. An owl with pince-nez glasses sat at the window. 

"Can I get the Year 1 hat please?" Arthur asked the owl, proffering his pound notes. 

The owl tapped a cash box next to the window with one feathered talon, and Arthur stuffed his money in there. 

"Will that be all?" the owl croaked. 

"Yes, thanks, Mr Featherby. My mum packed everything else." Arthur made a rueful face at Dante over Oregano's ears. "She put everything in about three layers of tupperware, said she needed to get rid of it. I'll probably be mixing potions in tupperware."

Dante snorted a laugh. 

The owl reached back with a feathery talon and flipped a plain pointed hat back toward him. Arthur nearly dropped Oregano, but managed to catch it. 

"And you, young sir? The Year 1 hat as well?" The owl peered at Dante through his glasses. 

"Um, yes. And a few other things as well... I probably should have brought my suitcase," Dante admitted. 

+ Enchanting Wand (£75)
+ 2 Quills (£12/each)
+ Ink (£5)
+ Year 1 Hat (£25)
+ 4 Bottles (£15/each)
+ Cod Liver Oil (£2)
+ Broom (£35)
+ 2 Boxes Mint Thins (£2/each)
+ Cat Treats (£2)

- £232
= £18

"We can have it all delivered to your room," Mr Featherby the owl offered. "For a modest fee of £5."

"That would probably be easiest..." Dante began.

"Wait, I can carry the broom," Arthur offered quickly. He set Oregano down and put his hat on to free up his hands. "You can put the little things in your ingredients bag."

"Oh, right, good idea, thanks," Dante agreed quickly, stuffing what was left of his money in the ingredients bag along with the quills, ink and some of the snacks. The wands strapped to either side of his belt, and he could wear the hat. He was left carrying the bottles, which was manageable. 

"Hey, Lunette? Could you do me a big favor?" Dante crouched to offer Lunette one of the boxes of mint thins. "Could you take this to Georgie, the girl with the ferret over there? If there's any trouble we'll come get you, but otherwise we'll meet you at the Lunar House door."

Lunette was excited to carry out an important mission, and carefully caught the edge of the box in her teeth. It was a little awkward to carry, but not too heavy. 

"Oregano, you want to go with her, just in case?" Arthur suggested. 

Oregano was happy to run for any reason whatsoever, and bounded over the cobblestones. Lunette sprang after him, grumbling a little around the box of biscuits that he had started too early. It was hardly a fair race this way. 

Together they careened towards the Year 3 students and familiars. Hearing them, the tortoiseshell cat sprang up, making a cranky whirring rattle. Oregano shied into Lunette's path, and she had to spring out of his way.

"What the heck? Those kids sent the cats?" The boy Jasper exclaimed. 

Georgie laughed. Lunette bounded up to her and set the box of mint thins politely at her feet. When she raised her head she saw the ferret looking at her, ears pricked forward with curiosity. Time to go! Lunette leapt away, and sprinted with Oregano back to the Lunar House door. They reached it around the same time as Dante and Arthur. 

Dante let them in with his house pendant, and they tumbled through the door, laughing.