3 - Choosing Dante

Lunette stood up to plant her front paws on Dante's knee, testing her small claws on the fabric of his trouser leg. 

He leaned down to pet her head. "Hi, Lunette. You're prickling me."

Lunette hadn't thought of that. She retracted her claws and licked his hand apologetically. 

Dante swallowed a laugh. "And that tickles. But thank you."

"Have you made up your mind, Lunette?" Miss Goodweather asked, looming over them. 

Dante froze. Lunette wound around his legs and purred. 

"Very well. You two may go, as well. Just remember, if you're late tomorrow, I may turn you both into toads!"

Dante nodded, then shook his head, then darted out into the hallway, pausing to hold the door for Lunette. 

For Lunette, who had never been encouraged to leave the office before, this was a momentous occasion. She skipped proudly alongside Dante as he walked quickly down the hall. Then he picked up the pace, and she dashed excitedly beside him. Then he broke into a run, and her smaller legs couldn't keep up. 

"Mew!" she yelped. 

To her relief he stopped and turned back to scoop her up. He held her to his chest, and she could feel his heart hammering. 

"Sorry, Lunette. I had to get out of there. Miss Goodweather is scary, isn't she?"

Lunette had never thought Miss Goodweather was scary. She licked Dante's cheek to reassure him. 

He laughed again, though he still sounded a little shaky. "Well, I guess we'd better make sure we have everything for tomorrow. I don't want to find out what it's like to be a toad. Did you know they use their eyeballs to swallow?"

Lunette had not known this. It sounded fascinating, but she didn't want to experience it first-hand. She could not imagine being anything but a cat. She very much doubted that Miss Goodweather would follow through on her threat, but she did pick up a little of Dante's uneasiness. It was better to be on the safe side. 

Dante let her go and walked at a reasonable pace down the hall and out the front door, crossing the courtyard to the Lunar House dormitories. Other children were playing with their familiars in the courtyard, and some of them looked curiously at Dante. Lunette looked around for Selene and Celeste, but didn't see them.

Dante waved his Lunar House pendant in front of the dormitory door, and it opened to let them in. 

Lunette had never managed to explore the dormitories before, though she had been able to see the buildings through the window in Miss Goodweather's office. The most interesting thing was Dante's luggage, piled next to the desk. It smelled of all kinds of different places and people. Unfortunately, it was all closed up tight. 

Lunette jumped up on the desk to look out the window. It was the back of the school, with a view of the forest, a narrow gate, and a footpath leading to it. 

Dante took a sheaf of letters from the desk and flopped down on the bed to read them. Lunette joined him on the dark blue comforter to read over his shoulder. 

---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---⟡---

Dante,

       I've packed your winter uniform robes and telescope. They said you can get all your other supplies at the school, so I've included some money for that.

      Do your best to stay out of trouble, and write to me every week.

Love, 

      Mama