Chapter 17 : Thankful Gestures and Admiration

Thankful Gestures and Admiration

A slight skip was apparent in my steps as I sneaked downstairs, trying my best not to make a sound. For what I was planning, I didn't want to accidentally wake Zaviyaar up earlier than he was supposed to.

Last night, I couldn't erase Zaviyaar's actions from my mind. He held me in his lap, HIS LAP! That felt so comfy and intimate that I wanted to hide myself away from his gaze. But he wouldn't even let me move an inch, let alone run away. It was only after he was finished talking that he loosened his hold.

Upstairs, I was hesitant to enter the bedroom. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to sleep. The wedding night and the previous morning, I had only slept there after Zaviyaar had left. But last night, I thought he might not be comfortable sharing a bedroom. Truth be told, I didn't know if I was either. I had even tried the other guestrooms in the house but weirdly, all of them were locked. So I had no option except to drag myself inside Zaviyaar's bedroom.

I was slightly scared he might kick me out when he came upstairs. But surprisingly, I noticed he looked pleased when he saw me lying on the bed, all wrapped up in the warm, furry comforter from the morning. I made sure I stayed near the edge of the bed. I didn't want any accidents to happen during the night. Thankfully, he didn't try to close the distance I created.

Remembering Zaviyaar's words from after dinner made me fill up with excitement all over again. All night, I had been so restless due to them that I barely slept. I kept thinking about what I could make, what food Baba would like, how much I miss everyone, and most importantly, how to thank Zaviyaar.

I know I didn't need his permission to see my family. But I also know that he is my husband now and the circumstances surrounding our marriage. While Zaviyaar's refusal did upset me, I didn't want to fight with him, especially on the first day of our marriage. I have to keep reminding myself that Zaviyaar is a different person and we need to get to know one another. The distance between us is too big right now and fighting would only serve to increase it. 

So I kept quiet at that time, thinking of all the ways I could peacefully convince him. But turns out, I didn't have to. He noticed my sadness all by himself. He even arranged for us to meet!

This might not be a big thing for many people, after all, it is my right. But for Zaviyaar to understand my feelings and wishes is a huge step in our marriage. And that makes me more happy than I can explain in words, So I'm doing the second best thing I can to express my gratitude: cooking for him!

Every time I cooked at home, Baba loved it so much. He would always look forward to it and even order Bhai to come home on time to eat with us. His childish excitement at my hand-made food always filled me with joy. My only hope is that Zaviyaar would like it too.

When I had thought about cooking for him, the incident with Ayesha had come to mind. How he had refused to even see her, let alone eat the food she brought. I got chills remembering that reaction. I truly hope he doesn't react like that. He might not have liked it back then but he might not hate it today. 

'Happy thought, Imani. Come on.' Yeah, no harm in trying.

Inside the kitchen, Zeenut Aunty was already preparing all the ingredients to start on breakfast. I whispered a small good morning causing her to jump in her place, shocked to see me up. I gave her a small smile and wave when she kept looking at me. Is she okay?

"Zeenut Aunty? Are you okay?" I stepped forward, putting my hand on her shoulder. She snapped out of whatever trance she was in before smiling back.

"Good morning, beta. What are you doing up so early? Are you hungry? Breakfast should be ready in a while." She smiled apologetically, bending to pick up a wheat container. I quickly bent down to help her lift the heavy box.