Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Ok, so this chapter is longer than I had planned so I'm sorry about that. Also, I think I've just made Kaneki the most hated character in this... woops. The GIF above is of Tatara. 

A week earlier, Kaneki and Touka had arranged to meet up outside Anteiku; a small cafe located in the city where both used to be employed. The business was operated by ghouls like themselves. 

Kaneki approaches the cafe, identifying the indigo-haired girl lingering outside the shop as raindrops pelt down onto her hood from the hazy clouds. It had been a while since he last encountered her, she was becoming more withdrawn making her rather unapproachable. However, Kaneki could no longer repress his decision from Ayato on rejoining Aogiri Tree. He had to discuss it with someone and the only other person he partly trusted apart from Ayato was his childhood friend - Touka. 

"Thanks for keeping me waiting, brat." She says coldly. Touka's face showed no bliss in seeing Kaneki, the bags under her jaded eyes were visible. 

"Sorry." Kaneki mutters, unable to meet her forbidding stare. 

Touka guides Kaneki down a sombre alleyway. A small grey cat scampers past the teenagers, it's amber marbles were illuminated with panic. Touka's saunter reminded Kaneki of Ayato, their movements were very much alike; their approach towards everything was always so leisurely. The way her blue hair would glide through the wind sent shivers down Kaneki's spine, it was as if it was Ayato walking before him. 

She halts in-front him. "So, you're returning to Aogiri Tree huh?" Kaneki could sense that she was displeased with this idea. Touka was aware that her brother was troubled making him a reckless person, he needed someone who would sustain him. And with Kaneki uniting with Aogiri, this would only damage Ayato even more with him not being there.  

"Yes, I've spoken to Tatara and Noro and they're willing to welcome me back." Kaneki sighs, "I understand that for the length of my time being a part of their organisation that I won't be there for Ayato, but at least believe that I'm doing this for him. I'll gain more strength with being a part of Aogiri and I will also be eliminating the number of ghoul investigators which will allow me to protect him."

"All you're gaining from this is the drive to kill, Kaneki! You'll be slaughtering innocent people who have the exact same motive as you: to protect the ones you care for." The anger in her voice shakes Kaneki. 

"Innocent people? They kill our kind without sympathy or remorse! They inform their race that we're ruthless, heartless monsters whose only purpose is to ingest them but what they don't understand is that we're entirely like them; you get the good and you get the evil!" Kaneki's voice trembles.

"Great speech, Kaneki. However, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do? Do you expect me to babysit my brother whose old enough to look after himself?"

"To be frank, I don't expect anything from you. I just had to tell someone." Kaneki's voice quietens. 

"The only person you should be sharing this with is Ayato. He thinks I'm still out of the city and I know that if he were to hear from me now after not having contacted him since I left, he'd probably go back to his old ways after dad passed." A tear courses down her cheek as she stares at the ground below her.