Chapter 25- the cure

Start from the beginning

His smile returns. "What happened in the memories?"

"I had two. In the first one we were playing catching in a Wicked hallway. You won." I glance at him.

He chuckles.

"The other memory was us sitting on a bed. We were talking about the maze and you told me that I had to be careful. I kinda kissed you." I bite my lip.

"Kinda?" He asks with a grin.

I send him a playful angry glare and he laughs.

We walk in silence for a moment.

"What was the other thing you wanted to tell me?"

I swallow a sudden lump in my throat away and turn my head towards the sea. "Mary talked to me."

"She explained that your blood doesn't cure me completely."

He inhales sharply as I continue. "I will always need more and she- she said I couldn't come with you to the save haven." My voice breaks.

He stops talking and turns to me. "What?"

Tears well up in my eyes again. "I'm sorry Thomas."

He can't stop the tears from falling either. He looks at me as if I just betrayed him. "No." He breathes out. "No."

A sob escapes my lips and I look to the ground."You-I-" he stutters not finishing his sentence.

"You have to promise me something, Thomas." I take a step closer. I try to make my voice sound steady but fail miserably. "I want you to go without me, with the others. You deserve to be there."

He shakes his head heavily "No." his voice is stern.

"Please-" I cry out.

"No." He says "I'm not going without you!"

"Well, then we'll both die! Do you want that?!" I ask him angrily.

"I don't care!" He raises his voice at me.

"But I care!" I raise my voice too.

Why does he have to be so damn stubborn?

Just when he opens his mouth to say something our friends arrive next to us and Newt lays a hand on Thomas's shoulder in order to calm him down.

"What is going on?" The blonde asks us.

Thomas and I don't break our eye contact as he speaks "Ruby just told me that she can't come with us to the save haven!"

Newts face falls. So does Teresas and Minho's. Jeff is the one who speaks up. "What? Why?"

"I'm not cured. Mary told me it's not safe." I explain shortly.

"But I thought you were healed? Aren't you feeling better?!" Newt asks me shocked.

"Ruby!" A yell from the tents makes all of us turn around. Mary comes jogging towards us. She's wearing a huge smile.

I look at her confused.

"I have to show you something!" She looks at my friends "You can come too."

We follow her back into the tent and she guides us over to a computer.

I don't understand one single thing about what is standing there. She turns around and gives me a triumphant smile.

"I told you that the blood from immunes only heals the infected people for a certain time right?"

I nod hesitantly not knowing where she is going with this.

Thomas is standing right next to me and I can see how stiffed he is.

"Well, I ran a few tests on your blood and I noticed something." Mary continues. "Not only does Thomas's blood destroys the virus for a while, it heals it."

Everyone in the room goes silent. I look at her with wide eyes. "So what you're saying is that the infection is gone? I won't ever get infected again?"

She nods, smiling at me with kind eyes.

I turn to my side and run into Thomas's arms. That's too much information to get in the span of half an hour.

His arms wrap around me tightly as I lean my head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry I yelled at you." I whisper so the others don't hear me.

"I'm sorry I yelled back." He says in the same tone.

Behind him our friends are cheering and I smile widely.

I'm coming with them. I do have a future.

A/n:

Emotional rollercoaster!! I swear this was the last chapter in which she thinks she dies-

Anyway
Hope you liked it x