Leading the march was Ezekiel Carlos Alvarez. He stood his presence domineering and requiring attention. In bold black: the number 24 was printed across his chest and back. He was recognizable even with his helmet on, his number infamous across the student body.

A simple action such as waving his hand caused the cheers and screams to increase a hundred tenfold. Effectively riling up the crowd. Immediately, I could see this seeping into his ego and causing it to grow exponentially. I feared he might be unable to remove his helmet by the end of it all. I could feel his head grow bigger by the second.

However, with the increased cheers: there also seemed to be increased jeers and boos emanating from the opposite side of the stadium. Taunts and cries emanating from our opponents were sure to throw anyone off their game. The Silver City students closest to their side had taken it upon themselves to reprimand them. The vulgarities flying between the two sides were not quelled by teachers who had tried desperately to reprimand offending students.

That died quickly when they realized they couldn't detain nine-tenths of the student body. Not when their actions were furthered by equally wild parents.

He stood there, large arms folded over an equally large chest. Number seventeen stood beside him, and talked to him with a hand placed on his shoulder. Although they gelled together as co-captains, I found the duo insufferable.

Me having my differences with both.

They stayed on the fields and chatted amongst themselves,  simultaneously rilling up the crowd even further. This game had a larger turnout than any other one seeing as it was an exciting way to kick off the season. I was sure the entirety of Granite Hillside occupants had flitted onto the stands, clearly divided.

The music on the speaker changed, crackling momentarily.

Emerging from the tunnels, Sagewood moved onto the field with confidence that made even me nervous. Even their jogging seemed synchronized, their demeanors and stature enough to put anyone off their game. There was a particular organization that our team admittedly lacked. With military-like precision, they moved toward the center of the field. Such an innate display causes the noise to increase a hundred tenfold. My hands involuntarily moved to clasp my ears.

As the Sagewood team made their presence known, I could feel my brother's demeanor shift. He was already tense but it increased, morphing into anger.

I watched as my brother turned his body towards them. Directing his attention to one man, and one man only.

Raphael Cavanaugh stalked onto the field with cool confidence drawing all attention to him automatically. He did not need to shout or yell. No elaborate gestures were made and yet collectively all eyes gravitated toward him. He seemed so sure of himself and his cleats had barely even touched the field. Behind me, I could hear the hushed shrill of a friend group, one girl particularly louder than the rest. The graphic details of the things she would allow him to do reached my ears. I tuned them out when their commentary bordered on some form of assault.

My attention was redirected to the field watching Raphael talk to the team as they stalked past the Silver City Warriors with an air about them that could only be described as surety.

Raphael Cavanaugh hadn't so much spared my brother a glance.

Call it twin telepathy or whatever, but I could feel Ezekiel's homicidal intent multiply a hundred tenfold. Francis' hand firmly grasped his shoulder pad, anchoring him to his position.

Their rivalry had been a result of being constantly pitted against each other. From the moment Raphael stepped into this town he challenged Ezekiel's star status. Skill and obvious experience triumphed over the natural talent Ezekiel possessed.

The positions they played would often go head-to-head on the field. Not only that, they seemed to clash outside of school, and often I would hear Ezekiel demean his character. Claiming he was a spoilt rich kid and a gigantic asshole. His words had been more colorful, hateful, and spoken with such conviction that the sentiment spread to those who spent time in his company.

I, however, never internalized his words. His sentiment was a perfect example of the saying a pot calling the kettle black.

Not only was it a battle between Sagewood and, but it was also a battle between their captains. Their rivalry was one for the books.

For the longest time whenever Ezekiel's name was brought up concerning his talents, no other name was muttered afterward. Not even for comparison's sake. He was revered by all. Sagewood offered him multiple scholarship opportunities, chasing him to the ends of the earth with unbridled passion.

That was until Raphael came along.

Sagewoods offers and persistence wavered. Especially when they were busy grooming someone whose talents seemed to extend further than my brother's own. That alone was enough to intensify the tension between them a hundred tenfold.

Never would you hear Ezekiel Alvarez being muttered with Raphael's name not entering the conversation and it irked him to no end. Especially when no functioning adult had anything bad to say about him. He collected accolades in whichever field he stepped in.

The sound of the whistle broke me out of my reverie. Both teams had gathered in the middle of the field for the coin toss. Voices hushed watching the scene. Time froze as the referee stood in between explaining something to both of them.

Number eleven and number twenty-four stepped forth; a considerable distance between them and their players.

I watched with bated breath, as they got close. Even without words or any malicious actions, Raphael taunted Ezekiel with the few extra inches he had on him. Ezekiel already towering at an easy 6 ft 1.

They placed their bets. The referee quickly prepped his hand for the coin toss, the air stilling in response.

Sagewood wins the coin toss, the referee jutting his hand in their direction. Sagewood chooses their goal: on the right-hand side of the field, and with a few words from the coaches, both teams scramble onto the field before promptly getting into formation.

With the timer being set and shouts from both sides: the games begin.

Silver City opening with a kick-off.