"The Mi'kmaq village," Anne said. "It's nearby and they can bring help. I know the way I'll be right back."

Charlotte looked to her side, only then noticing Ruby on the ground, fainted. "Jane, Tillie, use your hats to blow wind on her face. She's just in shock but she'll be alright."

"Give her some honey," Gilbert said, pulling out a jar from his bag. "It will bring her energy up."

Ruby batted her eyelids open, before fainting once again as she set eyes on the people arriving from the Mi'kmaq village.

Charlotte rolled her eyes at the sight.

"This is the Mi'kmaq medicine woman," Anne announced, stepping back towards her class. "She's here to help."

"Who is dead?" the man asked, glancing among the group of children. "My son said someone died."

"Nobody's dead," Miss Stacy assured the two. "But one of our girls has fainted, and a boy in injured. Everybody, move out of the way now."

Charlotte and Gilbert rose from the ground in sync, both equally watching as the woman walked towards Moody.

The boy on the ground winced as as the woman handed him a leaf.

"It's from the weeping tree. It grows by the water," the man explained.

Gilbert opened his mouth to speak, before Charlotte— as usual —bet him to it. "It helps with the pain?"

He watched as she leaned down, pulling her notebook out from her sock and scribbling down the fact she had learnt.

"She needs that." The pan pointed to Gilbert's pot of honey. "Honey cleanses the wounds. No sickness can enter."

Another sentence was scribbled in Charlotte's notebook.

"Oh God," Moody breathed out after the woman pulled out a sewing needle and yarn.

Charlotte kneeled down beside the boy, grabbing his hand. "Just squeeze on my hand."

Her jaw dropped slowly as he gripped her hand, surprised by his strength. Charlotte was quickly distracted as she found interest in watching the woman sew up Moody's leg.

She had never found something so interesting before. Watching the woman heal Moody with items you would never expect a doctor to use was genius in Charlotte's mind.

Gilbert glanced down at her. "Interested? At least if you are interested and do choose to do something involved with medicine, I'll have someone to compete with at collage."

"Charlotte! You're on the board again."

Charlotte glanced up from her book, before standing from her desk to storm out of the class. "Are you kidding me?"

"I didn't see who wrote it." Ruby followed behind her. "At least you're getting noticed."

"I don't want to be noticed for my looks. If I'm going to be noticed for anything I want to be noticed for my brains and personality."

Charlotte clenched her jaw as she reached the board, not even reading the sheet of paper with her name on it before she ripped it off the wall and shredded it into several pieces.

"Did you not even want to know who wants to dance with you tomorrow at practice?" Ruby asked. "Or what it says."

"No, I don't. Because I'm not going to be dancing, I'm going to be sitting in the corner looking mad as usual. No change there."

Ruby frowned. "I would have wanted to know."

"Well, the letter is right there on the ground so start digging." Charlotte gestured to the letter ripped in the dirt.

Ruby sighed at the girl. "Well, if it works for you. I'll see you tomorrow."

Charlotte, nodded watching her walk away. As soon as everyone she knew was out of sight, Charlotte dropped to her knees, throwing her bag to the side and digging in the dirt for the pieces of the paper she ripped up.

While Ruby was standing there, she didn't want her friend knowing Charlotte did want to know what the letter said. Although, she cared more about who wrote it. She furrowed her eyebrows as she found some of the letter, arranging it out on the ground.

Char... smarter than people think... deserves more than what she has.

No name was written at the bottom of the sheet of paper, yet, she could recognize the handwriting from a mile away.

A grin rose onto her face as she stared at the letter in th dirt, her cheeks flushing and brown eyes glistening. As soon as she realized how she was reacting to the note, she slapped a hand over her mouth, wiping away the grin.

She couldn't let herself feel like this. She had a plan, get into collage and leave Avonlea behind. She had found a love for medicine, and for helping people. Being a psychiatrist was her new goal as well as writing.

She couldn't let these feelings she had get in the way. 

---

4/03/2024

Began writing a new Gilbert book today so I'll let you know when I post the first few chapters. This obsession is getting out of hand.

But OHMYGOSH Charlotte and Gilbert are peaking at the moment. THE NEXT CHAPTER IS WHERE IT'S AT I'M NOT EVEN LYING.

So excited to publish it AHSHHHFH