10

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"Hey Charlotte."

- Billy Andrews

---

CHARLOTTE'S FEET TRUDGED through the snow covered ground, her sack swinging around her hip, full of potatoes from the market. Marilla had sent Charlotte early that morning to beat the crowds, her only instruction to buy enough potatoes for her to bring to Diana's. The girls wanted to bake Gilbert a pie and dragged Charlotte along, as they always did. She should have gotten used to it by now.

She would have taken Whiskey, but since she had been riding him non-stop to school, he was exhausted and needed a break. School, to her, was now terribly boring since Gilbert had taken time off. Nobody else gave her the motivation to do the assigned work, meaning she finished it in ten minutes, then sat staring out the window or picking at the wood on her desk with her fingernail.

In her left hand, were several flowers she had picked along the way, aiming to make a bouquet to place on Mr. Blythe's grave.

Charlotte ran her hand over her arm. Since she had hugged Gilbert, her skin constantly felt empty. When she was holding him, for a tiny moment, she felt as if someone truly cared for her. That was a feeling she had never felt, from anybody. Gilbert, to her, was the least likely person to ever make her feel that way, yet somehow he did.

She turned her head sharply behind her as the sound of a twig snapping caused the hairs on the back of her neck to stand upright. As soon as she turned around, she needed to stop herself before she walked right into somebody. She glanced up, eyes locking with the face of Billy and two of the other boys from school. "Hey, Billy."

"Hey, Charlotte," Billy looked down at her. "Funny seeing you here."

"Well this is the road to get to the place I live so.." she nodded. "If you'll excuse me, I'll see you on Monday."

"For school?" Billy blocked her as she attempted to walk away from him. "Yeah, I came to talk to you about that. See, it's getting really annoying, you always thinking your better than everyone."

"Well, the standard isn't set very high," she replied. "If you came to say something stupid save it for later."

"No, I thought I'd come talk to you before school so you can do better for Monday."

Charlotte let out a huff, not in the mood for whatever nonsense Billy had in his head. "I'm not dumbing myself down just because your to busy shooting spitballs at your friends."

"What's in the bag?" Billy asked, snatching it from her. He yanked the wild-flowers in her hand. "Who are these for?"

"That's none of your business," Charlotte scoffed. "Give me my bag back, take your goons and go."

Charlotte narrowed her eyes as he dropped the flowers to the ground, lowering his foot onto them until they were squashed in the ground. She could never put them on somebody's grave.