03

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"Thank you... for being useless"

- Charlotte Wells

---

CHARLOTTE WATCHED ALONGSIDE MATTHEW as the carriage grew smaller in the distance, Anne sitting on the back of it. Her spark was gone as she numbly sat there.

She only looked away when the vehicle was so small it was nothing but a speck in the distance.

As soon as Anne was gone, everything was quiet. As Charlotte worked on the farm in the stables, she waited for a little voice to pipe up, using words that were so long she didn't even know what they meant. That voice didn't come, no matter how much Charlotte waited.

Instead of Anne's voice singing at her, Marilla's voice came, screaming for Charlotte from the house. Her figure came rushing towards her and Matthew in the cornfield, her breath shaky like the previous night. Not from anger this time, from worry and regret.

"I found it, the brooch," Marilla breathed out.

"Charlotte, take one of the younger horses," Matthew told her, jogging towards the stable to tack one up.

"I'll bring her back, Marilla," Charlotte promised. "And this time, value her company."

By mid-day, Charlotte's hair was whipping behind her as her horse galloped through grassy fields, through waters to reach the train station. Adrenaline rushed through her as with each stride her horse took. She had to get to the train station before Anne did, and if she didn't, she needed to find her before she took a ferry off Avonlea. Once she was on that boat, Charlotte had no chance.

She had to be the one to bring Anne back. Marilla wouldn't go anywhere on a horse without a carriage, and Matthew was older than her, she could ride faster.

Charlotte jumped off the horse as she reached the train station, rushing inside. Rain fell down on her as the conductor walked out. "Where's the train?"

"Don't worry, the orphan got on alright, Matthew and Marilla's girl?"

A feeling brewed up inside Charlotte, the easiest way of finding Anne had no chance of working now. Charlotte knew where the orphanage was based, though she had no idea of what she had to go through to get there. "When does that train stop? How long does it take to get to the next station?"

She conductor shrugged. "I don't know the definite time, but it could be a few hours, or days."

"When does the next train come?"

"Could be a few hours or days."

Charlotte shook her head, frustration clear on her face as she grabbed her horse by the rain. "Thanks for being useless."

Darkness began to stretch along the night sky as she rode her horse to the nearest stables. Relif filled her throat when she saw several people working. "Excuse me? Do you have a spare horse. I need to get to Charlottetown."

To her, if felt weird saying her name in a place name. It had always felt weird. Marilla always told her she was names after Charlotte town.

"Sorry Ma'am, we don't have a spare," the man working told her.