14

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"Sometimes, you're not very nice."

- Jerry Baynard.

---

"WHAT'RE YOU DOING?"

Charlotte looked up from the book she was scribbling on, her eyes locking with Jerry's. As he tried to glance at her words, she moved the book away from his eye vision. "Writing."

"Writing what?"

"Poetry." Charlotte always found herself to be better at expressing her thoughts and feelings better on paper than towards people.

The two looked up as someone began climbing up the ladder. As Anne came into view, practically jumping towards Jerry, the two jumped, Anne huffing. "What are you doing?"

"Working, you?" Jerry replied. "Doing something boring?"

"Hardly, Nate gave me this book."

"Nate gave me this book," Charlotte mocked in a high pitched tone, Anne turning to look at her with a scowl.

"What's your problem today?"

"There's something wrong with that guy," Jerry replied.

"Why do you say that?" Anne asked.

"I just-"

"Well, I find this book interesting," Anne continued, cutting Jerry off. "And Nate happens to understand that reading is a necessity. Reading is in my life's blood."

Anne shuffled forward, to shove the book in Charlotte's face. "I mean look. Look at this glorious sentence."

Jerry let go of the pitchfork he was holding, letting it clatter on the ground. "Sometimes your not very nice."

"What do you mean?" Anne asked, climbing off the stack of straw to stand next to him.

"No school for me, remember?"

"I could teach you to read," Anne replied. "Words are made up of letters from something called the alphabet. There are twenty six letters in it and it has infinite combinations to make up every word there is."

Jerry just looked back at her.

"Let's start with your name." Anne crouched down in front of the hay stack Charlotte was on, drawing a 'J' in the straw, following it by the other letters in his name. "That's your name."

Anne looked up at the girl in front of here. "Have you left this barn since last night?"

The brunette didn't look up at her, continuing to scribble down words on her papers. "Shush, I'm doing poetry."

"Is being mean your way of showing people you care about them?" Anne asked her, cocking her head as the girl didn't give an answer. "By the way, don't forget we're going to the beach tomorrow."

"I'm so excited," Charlotte replied dully.

"Isn't this the most beautiful day there ever was?"