12

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛ ♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

" Dear Gilbert "

- Charlotte Wells

---

'WE'RE HERE TO SEE MS. BARRY."

The butler at the front door looked down at the three confused. "Who shall I say is calling?"

"Anne of Green Gables."

Footsteps sounded from behind the man. "For heavens sake, Rollings, these are my guests. Come in from the cold."

Charlotte looked around Josephine's house as she stepped inside. The entrance room itself was the size of her and Anne's shared room. Her and Jerry exchanged glances as the woman looked over at them.

"Dear me. What has happened to you two?" She questioned, glancing at the bruises and cuts on their faces. "Charlotte, it seems as though every time I see you, you've gotten yourself into something. Don't worry, we will get you both sorted out."

"That's very kind," Jerry thanked. "See you in the morning, I'll take after Belle."

"There's room at this inn, you won't be sleeping in the stable," Josephine told him. "I've prepared guest rooms for each of you. So run along, wash up, then join us for supper."

Josephine's house was unlike anything Charlotte had ever seen, having grown up nowhere anything as luxurious and grand. The food as well was unlike anything she had ever tasted.

"My, this is an extraordinary undertaking under perfectly dreadful circumstances," Josephine said as the four sat at her dining table. Only half of it was occupied. Charlotte didn't see the need to own one quite as large if it was never going to be fully used.

"It has been that," Anne replied.

"This city is rife with ruffians," Josephine shook her head. "It's a wonder anyone can walk down the streets alone anymore. You were both raised well to deal with it and push through."

Josephine was referring to the fact Charlotte and Jerry were mugged of their money and beaten up.

"You'll manage things at Green Gables, won't you?" Josephine directed to question towards Jerry, to which he didn't respond. "What did I say?"

"We can't keep Jerry on," Anne informed the woman. "He was getting the last of his wages as a part of the sales from the horse."

"But how will you run the farm?"

"I can help around with the work," Charlotte answered. "But Marilla is more interested in saving it right now."

"You must let me help," Josephine insisted.

"Miss Barry your so kind, but I can't accept," Anne said.

"What nonsense, this is no time to stand on pride."

"The Cuthbert's will not accept charity, and so, as a Cuthbert, neither can I."

Josephine raised an eyebrow at Anne's comment.