VII: party

LANE

"Okay, I don't know what has gotten in Nicholas head but he invited, all the three of us to a party at the beach." I hear Amayah say through my phone. Me, her and Izabel are on our daily call right now, daily call.

"I am definitely going. I am going to bring Rafael too." Izabel exclaims. She a sucker for parties and when she's drunk she goes wild, you don't know her next move.

"And I'm definitely not going." I continue the conversation and they both sigh. Amayah endlessly begs me and I still say no.

"Please, Lane. It's a good opportunity to break out from your shell, an opportunity to meet new people and make memories. I am sure it will be fun. Summer is almost over, make this vacation worth it."  The word "memories" remind me of Julius, then I remember. Nicholas invited us, so there must be Julius, right?

"Alright." I say in defeat and Amayah and Izabel clap their hands. "But," Interrupting them, they stop from what they were doing, "I don't know how to make my mom let me go." I sigh.

"Just say you're going to sleepover at my house with Amayah. I think she will not mind it." I feel guilty when I have to lie again to my mom, but then again, memories. I should make my teenage experience worth it somehow.

"When's the party?" I ask Amayah and she awkwardly laughs. Me with Izabel look at her with confused faces.

"I, uhm, actually forgot to tell you about this, he asked me a few days ago, and, uhm, it's today. Please don't kill me."

I immediately leave the call. And send a text to her, swearing at her as much as possible. Then I call my mom to ask her if I can go to "sleepover at Izabel's house with Amayah", she agrees, saying that finally I get out of this household and live my life.

After hanging up, I get a call from a certain someone. I clear my throat and answer the call.

"Good morning, Lane." Julius' sleepy voice rings and I smile. Lately, he always calls me when he wakes up and I find it a little weird.

"Good morning." I greet him back, "Are you coming at the party tonight?"

"Yeah." I open my mouth to say something but he interrupts me, "Wait. What party are you talking about?" He asks me.

"The one at the beach? My friend told me Nicholas has invited us."

"That fucker." Julius whispers. "Lane?"

"Yeah?"

"I am going to talk to you later, okay? I got to have a talk with a certain someone." He says and I frown.

"Okay, bye."

"Bye, Lane." He hangs up and I hope the day goes fast so I can see him sooner.

***

After I packed some things and went to Izabel's we got ready to go the party. They forced me to wear washed blue jorts and a white tank top. It's basic, I know but it's really hot outside so this will do for the moment.

As I wait for them to finish, my mind goes to Julius. He hasn't texted yet and I am kind of disappointed. It's not my fault he got me attached to him so badly. I wanted to text him, but I didn't know what to say.

"Lane, let's go." Amayah interrupts my thoughts and we get out of the house and wait for a taxi we called to get us.

"I'm so excited! Maybe it will be my chance to hook up with him!" Amayah giggles and me and Izabel laugh as we get in the taxi. She says to the driver where to go, he looks at us and sighs, mumbling "Teenagers these days."

We arrive at our destination and I take a deep breath. At the entrance of the party we meet Nicholas, "Hello my beautiful ladies." He greets us as he hugs Amayah.

I look around for Julius but see him nowhere, I make a step to look for him somewhere else but Nicholas stops me.

"Don't worry, your little prince charming will be here a little late. Meanwhile enjoy yourself with some drinks." He tells me and I look at him confused. He smirks and shrugs, handing me and to the other two girls glasses with some liquid in them.

"Lane's prince charming?" Izabel asks, also confused.

"Julius." And I feel my face heating up when he mentions his name.

"Lane and Julius, huh?" Amayah turns to me and smirks, raising an eyebrow at me.

"So, what is this?" I show my glass to Nicholas, trying to change the subject. He tries to hold in his laugh.

"Why don't you try it?" He offers me to try and drink it. I bring it to my mouth and let the cold liquid run down my throat. At first, it feels like your throat is burning but then it tastes good.

Then I realize what is it.

Alcohol. But I don't what exactly it is.

I want more.

"Can I have more?" I shyly ask Nicholas and the girls laugh loudly. He pours more in my glass and I drink it all. Then ask again and again and again.

"Alright, Lane, you should stop now or it's gonna get bad." Amayah warns me, trying to take the glass away from me bur I slap her hand without thinking.

"No!" I shout loudly, taking some steps away from her but Nicholas somehow steals it and I scowl at him.

"She's right." He agrees with Amayah and I scoff.

"What a simp you are for her, man." I say and walk away from them to the crowd dancing. I feel so hyped, I can't explain it how.

While dancing, I accidentally trip on something and fall on someone, looking up I see a guy, smiling at me. "Be careful, little girl. Are you alone?" He helps me up and I laugh. I don't even know why I am laughing, I just can't help it.

He looks at me questioningly and tries to put his arms around me but then I feel being pulled away from the man.

"She's not, fuck off."