Chapter 4 | A Meeting Most Cold

Depuis le début

I thought of the footman's thin, silvery hair. His hard eyes. Yes, Darin suited him well.

"Have you been here long, Darin?"

Now that I had him talking, I intended to make the most of it. Surely, he couldn't refuse a princess a few questions.

I was wrong.

"I am not certain that I am at a liberty to disclose that information, your highness." His tone was clipped though his words remained polite.

He must've spied my empty plate for he said, "Can I offer you anything else, your highness?"

Where was Wrynn? Dinner was almost over. And more importantly, where was the king? He hadn't even come to greet her – surely that was not royal protocol. To abandon their guests to their own devices, to dine alone.

Realising that Darin's eyes were burning a hole into the back of my head as he waited for an answer, I said, "No. Thank you. Please, give my thanks to your cook."

Darin stepped up behind me now, one arm firmly resting on his back, the other reaching forward to take my plate.

"We have no cook, ma'am."

***

It was after dinner, with little else to do, and I had retreated back to my chambers, when I finally set eyes on my lady's maid.

She stood at the end of my bed, as if she had been waiting for this very moment when I would walk through the door.

I started; she smiled.

"Hello, princess. My name is Florence. I will be your lady's maid for your duration of your stay here in Evenspire."

I was about to explain to her that this was now my new home. And that I would be around for longer than a stay, but she quickly, moved around the bed to stand before me.

A little shorter than I, Florence looked up at me – dark brown eyes met mine. Not blue like Wrynn's or Darin's – but a deep, deep brown. A pale cap covered her head, concealing undoubtedly silvery hair. Sharp cheekbones and strong jawline gave her a striking appearance and had I guessed I would have put her at about thirty or so.

Not having the energy to put up a fight, I allowed her to prepare me for bed.

Then she left. Silently. And I was once again alone.

***

Sleep, however, did not come easy. And when it did, it did not come peacefully.

I dreamt strange dreams, filled with strange people whom I did not know. They cried to me, begged me to help them. But I did not know how. One thing I did know, they were tired, so very tired. Although of what, I could not say.

I awoke to the sound of the wind. It whistled past my window, rattling the doors. I sat up, the room was dark, save for a crack of moonlight creeping through a gap in the curtains.

Pulling back the heavy covers and wrapping my arms tightly around myself as if to somehow fend off the cold, I walked slowly to the windowed doors, like by some invisible string I was pulled there.

Shifting shadows greeted me – or were they merely figments of my sleep addled state of mind. They danced and whirled in the blackness, captivatingly dangerous. Frozen in place, I stared. Another gust of wind shook the doors startling me out of my trance like state. A warning.

No, Aure, don't be foolish.

I shook off the silly thought and shivered. My nightdress was not made to be subject to such conditions. Allowing the curtains to swing back into place, I turned, leaving the roiling shadows behind.