I sat here alone a while longer turning the words over in my head. Maybe he had a point and maybe it was selfish of me to say that. The fucked up part of it was that in order to not hurt those around me I'd have to care a little more, even if I had to start with caring for myself.

After seeing so many deaths in your lifetime you either cared a little too much about living or life slowly loses its meaning.

If anyone could die in a blink of an eye, was all of this worth it when it's all said and done, or was it all meaningless? You know, just another means to an end. . . the ultimate end.

I can't help but think that all that came with this life were distractions or just things to keep us occupied while we avoided the inevitable.

The more I thought about it, the more lost I felt.

Maybe it was just all the weed in my system.

I left the location and I was cruising through the streets of Monetgo Bay. The traffic was at an all time high today, but when was it not? Dem people mussi nuh ave no yard. Mi nuh ave time fi all a dis.

I take another route hoping that it would take a little less time.

As I drive along the road I spot a billboard advertisement with Kalíanna's father and it all clicked. I knew he  couldn't be trusted especially, after what she had told me but he was just another missing piece of the puzzle.

With his upcoming campaign, he needed the extra support and as for me, well I just needed more people in this corrupted system on my side. Nothing was clean about politics it was full of twisted games and a whole lot of tricks.

It would give me the leeway that I needed with everything that's been going on. 

But if he's so hell bent on being the enemy then that's exactly what I'll make him out to be.

I dial Trap's number disconnecting my phone from the car's speaker, always cautious. "Change a plans fi tomorrow." You could hear the amusement in my voice. "Wah fi gwaan?" He asked, matching my energy. I explained everything to him completely scrapping our original plan.

We were supposed to provide protection to Stevenson and his crew, he wanted to travel through some of the more unpredictable areas of town like Salem, Norwood, Salt Spring—do his little motorcade, festivities and false promises, whatever people like him did.

Except, without our help it won't go over so smoothly. These people didn't like people showing up in their territories and he wasn't just an enemy, he was the enemy. A government official, that is.

I was supposed to make a few calls, maybe be on scene myself throughout the course of the day, I would have seen to it that he wasn't touched. But without my intervention he's going to be eaten alive.

Imagine if some of these people were of the opposing party, he's going to be in a real sticky situation.

I wasn't going to warn him about my withdrawal either.

He'd just have to find out himself.

• • •

Trap was going through some of the papers on my desk making sure my signature was on the ones he needed it to be. One of the secretaries, Sasha I believe, returns with the assortment of food we ordered from KFC. We have been here all evening trying to organize some paperwork.

"All working deh pon' pause." Trap spots Sasha and drops the papers he had in his hand on the mahogany desk. She laughs resting the food on the coffee table. She adjusts her pencil skirt for about the umpteenth time tonight before sitting down, it was far from an appropriate length.

What If We Had It Allजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें