Chapter 8: A Runaway with Freckles

My face grew paler with every step we took towards Hogwarts. I felt my stomach churn and immediately wanted to rid myself of the butterbeer I had drunk earlier.

Poppy held onto my arm tightly, trying to provide support. "Please tell me what's wrong." Memories swirled in my head like a raging storm. My thoughts kept reminding me of how I turned Rookwood into dust last school year.

Stammering, I tried to explain everything to her. "L-Last year, I had the fight against Victor Rookwood. And I believe the lady who sat with us was his w-wife."

My own words hit me like a blow. The realization of what I had just said made me swallow hard and catch my breath.

Poppy abruptly stopped and simply stared at me in silence. "Poppy?..." My question sounded almost lost in the air. Her sudden frozen demeanor scared me a little.

"Do you think... she wants revenge?" Poppy dared to ask with a trembling voice. "Quite possible," I squeezed out. The thought that she might seek revenge only fueled my fear, causing my heart to race even faster than it already was.

Could the day get any worse? "Let's just go back to Hogwarts for now," suggested my Hufflepuff friend. I nodded in agreement, and silently we made our way back to the castle.

Just before reaching the castle, I fell to my knees. My stomach simply couldn't handle it all. "Y/N?" called Poppy, immediately bending down beside me. "What's wrong? Are you okay? Should I get Sebastian? Ominis? Talk to me!"

I noticed Poppy growing frantic, but the pressing feeling in my throat blocked my voice. Then I couldn't hold it any more and vomited. It was all just too much. This whole damn day had been too much!

Without hesitation, Poppy held my hair back. I coughed and felt absolutely disgusting. Without saying another word, my best friend helped me back to my feet and didn't speak to me until we reached the Slytherin common room.

Before a massive wall in the dungeons of the castle, Poppy pressed herself against me once more, trying to offer me reassurance.

"It's all going to be okay, alright?" A gentle nod was all I could offer her in response after pulling away from her embrace.

I turned my gaze to the stone wall, and with a barely perceptible hiss, a snake slithered out of the ground, forming an inviting archway, thereby opening the entrance to the common room.

Finally, I can rest. Climbing the small iron steps leading to the dormitories, I collapsed exhausted onto my bed. A relieved sigh escaped me as I glanced at my owl, who was sitting relaxed on her perch, dozing off.

"What's this?" A letter peeked out from under the perch on a wooden shelf.

Without getting out of bed, I reached for the piece of parchment.

From Sebastian. Why is he writing me a letter when he could just come over?

I tore open the letter and unfolded the paper. My eyes slowly scanned the lines.

By the time you read this letter, I'm probably still on my way. Don't worry, I'll be back by dawn. I flipped through some old books again and stumbled upon a page about wizarding families, and on one of the family trees, I discovered that Victor Rookwood has a wife! If I understood the old lines of the books correctly, Anne's curse might be lifted through her. Rest well. See you tomorrow. Sebastian.

A moment of awe and processing ensued. The words swirled in my mind, and I could hardly believe what I had read. The possibility that Anne could be redeemed through Victor Rookwood's wife brought a glimmer of hope to my chest. Yet, this thought also brought great concern.