prologue

My sister and I have always differed from our family. They are vampires, but we're a unique creature. It makes me feel like an outlier most of the time. That's why no one understands us. But the more we live with them, the more I realize we're alike. We were all humans once.

I also think there isn't much difference between supernatural beings and humans. The only difference is in magic and some nutrition.

Anyway, I would guess that my sister and I are angels. Everyone who knows us says that. While it's flattering, I still don't understand. It's not true. It matters because I don't remember anyone from the biological family being an angel...

I don't remember my mother much. Her name was Evelyn. She always looked like an angel. Her eyes were like her brown curls. We've had to look royal because we were part of a kingdom in Hungary. But I don't remember which one. I also have trauma from the chase that happened to me in the dark forest.

I will tell you the last thing I remember from the time... I remember that the war happened at night. I heard shouting between the royal knights and a group of rebels. They woke me up from my sleep. Fear seized me, centering on the residents and family's well-being.

Tears filled my eyes. I started shaking because it upset me. But I knew I had to regain control. So, I tried my best to pick up a sword to join the knights to protect the subjects. But, I couldn't because it was too heavy. It was frustrating.

I ran to see what was happening through the window. I saw chaos. The knights of the kingdom fought the enemies. A mass of corpses left a few subjects trying to protect the others. It was too hard to watch the chaos that remained in the city. I ran to my mother to ask her to do something. But I saw her with a knight on a horse.

Tears fell from my eyes. I feel betrayed. But I remember that baby Abigail needs me. I quickly go to the room where she is. I stop and stare at the chaos leader holding her in his hands. He soothes her very gently. This makes me so angry. I don't understand how he dares to touch my sister. Strangely, she relaxes in his arms.

The worry froze me and left me unable to move, and I was unsure of what to do.

I tried to come back to myself to take Abigail close to me. But I looked around and saw two people holding each side of my hand at the entrance of the room. I tried to resist and fight them, but they were stronger than I was.

The leader looked me in the eye, approached slowly, and handed me Abigail. He wanted to prove to me that I could trust him. But, my mother told me a different story. She claimed she couldn't trust the others. But then she ran off with an exclusive knight. Then, I found out that she was also unreliable.

He started walking, and they pulled us along with them. They took us to the beginning of the forest and released us. "Do you see the forest?" asked the leader, and we shook our heads; we didn't understand why he asked that. But anyway, I grew up here, so I know every way here. "You have to run in different directions." Underline the last two words.

I felt shocked and scared. "But she's only three years old, she won't survive in the forest and certainly won't be able to run." I tried not to show my true feelings, but I began to beg worried that he would say something much crueler even though if some time ago he returned Abigail to me to show that he could be trusted then maybe it would be possible to convince him otherwise..." I would do anything just not to hurt her, but I didn't understand how you could even be so cruel. You do it out of fear or out of... loneliness. If I'm telling the truth, I feel sorry for you and ashamed of you."

The gaze of the man in front of us narrowed in thought, "You know what...? I'll let you run with your sister in the forest to prove that I'm good. But, you can't grow up together. I'll be watching everything you do, so be careful. I know everything about you."

What does he mean? "Like what?" I asked to tease, because he is lying, like he lied about Amin.

The leader began to approach. I tried to go back but ran into a tree. "I know your name," he whispered in my ear in a creepy voice and looked back into my eyes. "It's Amilia."