Chapter 21-the flare

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Ruby?" His voice is hoarse but steady. Quickly he pulls his blanket away and gets out of the bed.

"What happened? Who did this?!" He wants to free me from the rope but freezes when he notices my eyes.

By the look on his face I assume they look even worse than yesterday.

"What is with your eyes, Ruby?" His expression stays confused but I can tell he has an idea of what is going on.

I don't speak. It is like something keeps me from opening my mouth. I don't have control over myself.

His hand reaches out for my head.

"Don't touch her!" A loud voice makes Thomas flinch away from me and turn to the doorway.

Minho appears, a shocked expression on his face. The others are behind him. I see Newt and Teresa looking at me.

Thomas's eyes turn from our friends to me and back to them.

"Why?"

Minho rushes into the room and pulls Thomas further away from me.

"She has the flare. I'm sorry, Thomas." His eyes are sad. Probably the saddest I've ever seen them.

Minho isn't someone who shows his feelings so often. I never saw him cry.

Thomas on the other hand stares at Minho as if he told him he murdered me.

Tears well up in his eyes and a gasp escapes his lips. "What?" His voice is weak and full of sadness.

"She completely lost it yesterday, man." Minho goes on "I think she didn't even recognise us."

I can't bare Thomas's painful look so I turn away and watch the others instead.

What Minho said is true. Yesterday I didn't recognise them. I'm scared of what will happen next. What if I hurt them?

"Go without me." I blurt out. My voice is weak and quiet but the whole room goes silent at my words. It is the first thing I said since I woke up and I feel like this is really me who said it.

"No." Thomas says stern and without hesitation.

"I can't control it, Thomas." I beg. Hurting him while he is trying to save me is the last thing I want to do.

"No, Ruby. Thomas is right." Newt steps away from the doorway and points at Mary. "She said she could help you once we arrive at the right arm."

Mary nods and gives Thomas a weak smile who looks at the woman in confusion.

"Who is she?" He asks Minho quietly.

Mary hears him "Hello Thomas. You used to know me, I'm Mary."

His frown only deepens but Mary keeps talking.

"According to the Wicked files you are supposed to be immune. I'm not sure and that's why no one should get close to Ruby for now."

She glances at me. "Thomas, you are probably able to give her more time."

So I'm gonna die sooner or later anyway.

"More time?" My boyfriend stares at her in misery.

Mary sighs "I'll explain everything as soon as we get to the safe haven, but Ruby is running out of time. We have to go now."

Thomas accepts it hesitantly and everyone turns to me.

"Ruby?" my sister asks me carefully.

"Yeah?"

It feels good to see her. I think she was the one who cried yesterday. I wish I could embrace her.

"Do you think you can walk?"

Right, they can't help me because that would mean touching me.

"I guess."

Teresa exchanges a quick glance with Brenda and pulls a knife out of her pocket. She slowly lays it onto the floor.

"I'm gonna pass you the knife and you have to cut the rope, alright? When you are done I want you to drop the knife and come with us."

Her voice is so gentle and careful that I almost cry.

I agree with her plan and she pushes the knife toward me with her foot.

I take it, cut the rope and stand up.

Everyone in the room tenses and stares at my left hand.

"The knife, Ruby." New says it in a dangerously low tone and I drop the weapon.

The others take their backpacks while I wait.

"Okay, let's go."

A/n:

I have no idea what to write in here but yeah. Hope you enjoyed it. Next chapter will happen more hopefully.