54 | No Need To Ask

Start from the beginning

Crosshair stopped in his tracks, holding Rylann's arm to keep her from continuing. "Where is this coming from?"

Rylann's lip quivered as she glanced at the nearby alleyway, its darkness taunting her with its unknown. "I can't protect other people or even myself. From the Death Watcher."

Crosshair looked around before stepping into the alleyway, but Rylann resisted his pull. Crosshair furrowed his brows. "Rylann."

"I—I'm afraid," she whispered, averting her eyes.

"I'll be with you," Crosshair said, gently pulling on her hands. Rylann looked up, meeting his brown irises that filled her being with warmth. "I'll always be with you."

Rylann relaxed. Crosshair would be with her to protect her. Always.

Crosshair pulled her into the alleyway, stepping closer to her. "Don't ever say you keep failing," Crosshair whispered, bringing his hand up to her face. "You are a wonderful leader and the only thing you're not doing right is that you're too afraid to step into your shoes."

Rylann gulped. How did he always nail it on the head? She was uncomfortable with the idea of leading when she felt so less than. Hunter should have been the commander or general, not her.

Crosshair stroked her cheek with his thumb. She leaned into his hand. "I'm afraid to make mistakes," Rylann said, tears brimming her eyes. "I'm afraid I'll lose you."

Crosshair shook his head. "Don't be afraid of that. Mistakes always happen, and losses always happen, but all that matters is how you move on from them."

That statement shook Rylann to the core. She blinked, stepping away from him. "It can't be that easy."

"But it is." Crosshair said, dropping his hand to his side. "Know that we will never expect you to be perfect, and those that do need to kriff off."

Rylann laughed, stepping towards him. "Can I hug you?"

"Only you can," he said with a chuckle. "No need to ask."

Rylann slid her arms under his, wrapping her arms around his back. She had her ear to his chest, breathing in his scent. His warmth and his heartbeat in her ear relaxed her. "I appreciate you. So much." Her heart rose to her throat at how much she cared for him.

Crosshair chuckled, his laugh rumbling in his chest as his arms embraced her. "I appreciate you."

Rylann felt the question rise up in her throat before she could stop it. "What are we?"

He hesitated, his breathing pattern changing. "Well, I don't know, Ryles. What do you want us to be?" He held her at arm's length, raising a brow as a smirk donned his face. "I'd like to make you my cyarika if you'll have me."

Butterflies danced in her gut as she fought a smile. "As long as you'll have me."

Crosshair leaned down, his nose brushing hers. "Can I kiss you?"

"Only you can," Rylann said barely above a whisper. "No need to ask."

Crosshair smiled. "Wise words." And he closed the distance, his lips catching hers in a soft kiss. Her heart thumped in her chest as she tugged on his shirt to pull him closer.

When he pulled away, he rested his head on hers in a keldabe kiss. She felt his emotions. Ones of pure contentment and happiness. "Mesh'la," he breathed out.

Her eyes rose to meet his, scouring his sharp features. "Mesh'la but it means handsome instead."

"Kandosii'la means stunning and that would be the closest." Crosshair smiled, swiping hair from her face, his eyes saddening. "Rylann, how are we going to do this?"

"Simple," Rylann said, pulling him in for another hug, her cheek squished against his chest. "We just do it."

"Rylann, I love winging it, but even I know that we need to be careful." He stroked her hair as the shuttles zoomed past the alleyway. "You could get kicked from the Jedi, and who knows how they dispose of clones who disobey."

"We find time to spend together and eventually, when the war is over..." Rylann paused, an idea hitting her. An idea she had brushed off for so long. An idea that would work. "I'll leave." She looked up at Crosshair, determination in her gaze. "I will leave the order. You can too."

Crosshair leaned back, concern flashing across his eyes. "But the jedi—it's all you've ever known."

"Exactly," she whispered, stepping aside as she exited the alleyway. "I want to know more than this. I want to know what is normal."

"Then let's plan for it," Crosshair said decidedly. "After the war, we will settle down."

Rylann bit her lip as they started walking towards the Temple. "Where though?"

"Anywhere but Kamino," Cross said immediately, voice thinning.

"Will your brothers stay there?" Rylann asked, brushing her pinky against his as he matched her stride.

"Even if they do, I won't stay," he decided. "The Kaminoans are monsters."

The reason Crosshair didn't like people getting past his wall of emotions was because of them. All his hurt was because of them. "After what they had done to you, they are," Rylann agreed. "Why would they create something so wonderful just to tear it down and destroy it?"

"To control it," he said bitterly. "They tamper with what they can't control."

"I can't wait to be done with the war," Rylann breathed out, running her hand through her hair. "I feel like a pawn in the Council's chess game with the Sith."

"Let's not talk about this," Crosshair said suddenly, looking down at Rylann as they rounded a corner. "So, where would you want to settle after the war?"

"Coruscant is the only place I've ever lived outside Kamino," Rylann said, though that didn't answer the question.

"Too noisy and crowded." Crosshair frowned. "Where were you born again?"

"Genetia."

"We could go there." Crosshair scratched at his chin. "Don't they have an array of moons that are livable?"

Rylann nodded. "I think so. I haven't been there since I was taken at two."

"Then let's do it," Crosshair said, nodding his head as he pulled out a toothpic. "Reconnect with your parents and settle there."

Fear shot through her being. She had never really dwelled too much on her family—that was frowned upon. But every once in a while, Rylann wondered where they were and if she had any siblings. "What if they don't want me or remember me?" Rylann asked, the reality of the question hitting her like a shuttle.

"Who could forget you?" Crosshair asked, shooting her a small smile.

Rylann's heart swelled at the statement. Crosshair encouraged her and corrected her. He wasn't afraid to be hard on her, but he also wasn't afraid to build her up. Rylann reached over to give his hand a squeeze. He was perfect for her and for once she wasn't afraid of the circumstances. They would make it through. They had to.