24 | Teachers and Students

22 BBY, Month 7

Rylann

Rylann was spacing out again

Rylann was spacing out again. She blankly stared up at the ceiling from her bed, her neglected book laying open on her chest. There was so much on her mind, thinking about all that had transpired in the past few days. All the Jedi and clone visitors left, the 501st taking Kix with them, leaving an empty spot in Rylann's heart. She hadn't known him for very long, but he had been so helpful to her, bringing clarity to the muddled feelings she felt regarding the Order and how she felt about Crosshair.

A knock at the door awoke Rylann from her daze as she set aside the book she had been neglecting to read. Rylann rose to her feet, making her way to the door. It opened revealing Shaak Ti.

Rylann stepped back to let her master come inside. "Hello, how are you?" she asked as Shaak Ti brushed past her to enter the room.

"I haven't been able to shut my eyes without seeing those visions," Shaak Ti stated, turning to Rylann sharply as the door hissed closed.

Rylann was able to see her master better, and she believed what she said. Shaak Ti's eyes were red with dark bags beneath them and she seemed a bit frazzled. "What did you see?"

Shaak Ti couldn't hold Rylann's gaze. "Unsettling things," was all her master said.

Rylann's forehead prickled with anxiety. Here Shaak Ti was about to give her a talk about something that hadn't even happened yet—or might not ever occur. Well, knowing Shaak Ti and her allegiance to the Order, she'd make sure Rylann stayed away from Crosshair.

Shaak Ti tapped her fingers anxiously on the desk as she looked over the decor. She brushed her fingers across the leaves of the tiny tree, glancing up at Rylann. "What is this?"

"A birthday present from Omega," Rylann said, hopping on her bed to get settled. At least she'd be comfortable when getting lectured. "She's a small clone in the medical bay."

Shaak Ti nodded. "Ah, yes, I recall reading about her, but much was encrypted." Shaak Ti turned to face Rylann. "So, your vision had something to do with Crosshair, correct?"

Rylann didn't know how to answer. She nodded. "Though I do not understand it."

"I do not either," Shaak Ti said, bringing her hand to her chin in thought. "But I know that it is something crucial to your future as a Jedi and to the Force."

Rylann pursed her lips defiantly. "Are you going to pull me from training with them?"

Shaak Ti paused, glancing over at Ry. "I wanted to," she admitted, crossing her arms. "I wanted to send them all off world to protect you and your standing with the Order, but..."

Rylann furrowed her brows. "But what?"

Shaak Ti glanced over at her, a frown growing on her face. "I got a bad feeling when I was about to tell the Council my decision to remove them."