013. Having Dessert First

Of all of the gestures I expected from my brother, whose reputation I had somewhat ruined, being hugged was not one.

He chose to do it once we were behind the cover of parliament house, at least. Besides, it would have been embarrassing for my reputation as a villain. It wasn't like he was trying to wreck it, or anything. He wasn't that mean, most of the time.

I tightened my grip around him. It seemed wrong, somehow, to do this while our true selves were beneath polymer alloy, but maybe that was part of it. Neither of us had considered that the person underneath the mask found it easier this way, to admit how much we'd lacked in the family department.

I hadn't understood why he'd texted me after all those months before now. But it made total sense. Now that I'd spent so much time hidden, all I wanted was to sit down, cure my empty stomach, and catch up on all that I'd missed while I was gone.

Also, for all of its glory, fighting was tiring. I really, really needed to sit. My legs shook with every step. And I was pretty sure stars weren't supposed to erupt in my vision like this.

Alfie patted my shoulder and stepped out, pointing to a portal that had been there since we'd stopped battling. "That one leads to the Plaza."

"Oh, right, I don't have to walk. That's good, because I think I'd fall over." I exhaled a puff of a laugh. "Thank you for being born."

He chuckled. "I think that's the first time I've ever been thanked for that."

With a nod, he allowed me to exit first. I fizzled into existence before the table. A glance at my phone told me it was too early for dinner.

I lowered my helmet and fumbled for kitchen-bot.

Kit and Griffin stared at me from the couch. Mechanical arms lowered my glass before me, and I considered downing an entire glass of water before grabbing a packet of Emergence.

I'd secretly been wondering what all the fuss was about. And, more importantly, whether it actually worked.

Orange juice filled the cup. Once I stirred the packet's contents inside, I knocked it back. The liquid hit my tongue, vaguely medicinal, yet barely noticeable beneath the bitter kick of the citrus. I could see why none of them drank it with water.

Kit shivered and pulled a face at me.

A few seconds ticked. And like sunshine hitting wooden tile, my body warmed. I blinked as the haze from the fight cooled away, as if hours had passed. I wasn't exactly back in fighting shape, but I didn't mind it.

"Oh," Alfie said as he stepped into the kitchen. "Not Emergence. I can't stand that stuff. Please don't become an Emergence person. At least when there are two of us who don't drink it, I don't feel outmatched."

I cracked a smile at the teasing hint in his voice. "So... just to make sure I've got this right, you're okay with my villainy, but not this?"

Griffin scoffed. "I doubt he's okay with that."

"Or supportive. Maybe a bit understanding, though. I've seen a lot," Alfie said.

I spun to the fridge, staring at kitchen-bot as I debated whether I wanted to eat now or not. My stomach grumbled. "Hey, what are we doing for dinner?"

Alfie smiled a little. His words bounced around in my head as I processed them. I didn't know, really, what to say to that. All I could muster was the return to normalcy. Still, he understood, and that was enough for the tightness in my throat.

He shrugged. "You want to do something?"

"Sorbet," I said. "Like old times."

"Oh, yes, now I'm craving some." Kit shot to his feet and grinned at me.