Chapter 43: Reishi Manipulation

Izumi took Kazuya to a secluded Quincy training ground in Karakura Town — an unassuming warehouse, empty on the inside. Izumi set up a force field using a specialized Quincy technique and began instructing him on the control of Reiryoku. Kazuya didn't toy with Izumi this time and demonstrated results after only a few moments of fake struggle.

However, he took great care to limit his Reiatsu to several levels below his peak, not wishing to frighten them with his Great-Level Reiryoku.

They both showed a look of brief surprise — a priceless reaction — before Izumi began teaching him the crucial part that allowed Quincy to use their abilities.

The gathering of Reishi.

Kazuya was already familiar with Reishi manipulation from his month-long training with Harribel. However, Quincy abilities demanded incredibly precise control over large quantities of Reishi — a skill he had yet to acquire.

'It shouldn't be that hard.'

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes. The thudding of his heartbeat drowned out all other sounds as he entered a state of deep concentration — the very state that had allowed him to discern so much about Hollows in Hueco Mundo.

He referred to this state as 'Cultivator Mode.'

Blue spirit particles materialized within the room, each vibrating molecule gravitating towards Kazuya. He took command of them, molding them into the shape of a typical bow. A faint, spectral silhouette of a bow began to manifest, only to crumble into non-existence at the last moment.

[Racial Ability: Reishi Manipulation unlocked.]

[Current Mastery Level: Basic.]

Kazuya's brow furrowed, feeling a strange sense of resistance from the Reishi around him. Undeterred, he made repeated attempts, each one giving the bow to a more distinct look.

Izumi watched, torn between interrupting his efforts and the desire to see him succeed. Every Quincy needed a Cross to manifest their Spirit Weapon, yet Kazuya seemed resolved to defy this tradition.

Eventually, his perseverance bore fruit as a grand spirit bow, matching his height, took form. He drew back the invisible bowstring, and a ridiculously massive arrow materialized. "At last. I was starting to doubt myself there."

A shared glance passed between Lisa and Izumi. The reality of Kazuya's monstrous potential was sinking in. Izumi knew of no one who could conjure a Spirit Bow without a Quincy Cross, let alone on the first day of their training. It sparked a glimmer of hope in her that he could usher in a new era for their fading Quincy race.

Lisa, however, eyed him skeptically. "Guest-dono, are you certain this is your first try?"

She focused her senses on his Reiatsu, feeling any fluctuation that could tell her that he was lying.

Caught off guard by the suspicion in her gaze, Kazuya tilted his head. "Absolutely. Onee-chan, you mentioned that Hollows are big monsters. I shall shoot them down with my divine bow, Gandiva... I will call it that after I improve my marksmanship."

In Hueco Mundo, he was waiting for his Zanpakutō before deciding on his main weapon. Then the egg showed up in the place of his Zanpakutō, leaving him befuddled. With Reishi Manipulation, he could try practicing with any weapon. They won't be as effective as Zanpakutō but they were better than nothing. Plus, there was the potential of crafting more powerful weapons as his mastery over Reishi improved.

Finding no trace of a lie in his words, Lisa discarded her suspicions of Kazuya being a spy like herself. She could discern no motive for Kazuya to deceive a Quincy of Izumi's stature, and he shouldn't have any knowledge of her hidden identity.