Reliving The Past

A/N: Hello my lovelies! Another dark chapter. Enjoy. (you probably won't but you know what I mean)

Chapter 13

"You have a sister?" I blurted out.

"Yeah. She's 4 years older," Mitch replied.

"If she ignored what was happening to you, why are we here?" I inquired, slightly confused.

"It wasn't that she agreed with what they were doing, she just didn't want to piss them off, so she moved out," he explained. 

"Oh. I can go with you. You seem really nervous," I offered.

He took a deep breath, "Thanks," he replied.

I smiled at him and unlocked the doors before getting out and following him up the pristine sidewalk.

"So I'm confused. You had a good relationship with your sister?" I inquired as we walked.

"There wasn't really much of a relationship at all. She'd always be sad whenever Dad would get pissed at me, but she'd never say anything to me after the fact. She was like...a bystander. Honestly, she probably won't want to see me, but it's worth a shot," he explained.

I nodded and waited as he went to ring the doorbell. He stopped with only an inch between his finger and the doorbell before he dropped his hand, "Can we go home? I don't wanna do this. She probably hates me," he exclaimed nervously.

"Hey," I murmured as I put my hands on his shoulders, "She's your sister. And even if she wasn't there for you, she probably doesn't hate you," I coaxed.

He took a deep breath and turned back towards the door before ringing the doorbell.

There was the sound of a dog barking before a man yelled at it to go lay down, and then the door opened.

A man who didn't look much older than me stood there. He glanced at me and then at Mitch. Recognition filled his eyes instantly, but he looked confused, "Mitch?" He muttered.

Mitch cleared his throat, "Is Liz home?" He questioned.

"Uh, yeah...come in," the man replied awkwardly.

I followed Mitch in. I looked around, taking in the glitz and glamor of the place. It was really nice.

"I'll go get her, be right back," the man muttered before jogging up the stairs.

"That's Justin by the way. He was her boyfriend when she was 16. He made fun of my voice a lot," Mitch informed me as he looked around at the children's toys all over the living room. "Liz got married and has a happy family in a nice home. And what did I get? A little hut made of old boxes and sheets. Typical," he muttered as he continued to look around.

I pressed my lips together sadly, but didn't say anything.

We both looked up at the stairs as Liz came down. She came down and stood in front of us.

"What're you doing here, Mitch?" She asked softly as she crossed her arms.

Mitch seemed taken aback by her tone, "Nice to see you too," he muttered.

"I'm just trying to live my life, I don't have time for your games. Mom and Dad told me all about how you ran away to make them feel guilty about what they'd done. And now you're here to make me feel guilty too. Well, newsflash, I don't have time to deal with it. I regret not helping you, ok? I should've done something, but it's in the past," Liz retorted.

Mitch gaped at her, "They told you that I ran away?" He inquired.

"Yes. And apparently you ran away and found someone to take care of you," she pointed out as she motioned towards me.