Baby Steps

A/N: Hello my lovelies! Before we get to the story, can we talk about how OVERJOYED I am that same-sex marriage was passed in all 50 states?? I'm so happy and so proud of the US. And to anyone who's opposed (which is none of your obviously because you're reading a story about a gay couple) you can leave the US, we don't need your negativity sis.

Anyway, back to the story. Another rollercoaster chapter. Nothing like the Wyatt thing, don't worry.

Chapter 12

The next morning I sat at the table with with a cup of coffee, trying to construct a to-do list. Mitch and Alex were still asleep, so I had some silence to think in.

I needed to call the insurance company and see if I could get anything from the damage. I wanted to save up to get a new apartment so Adela and Hector wouldn't be able to show up unexpectedly again.

I needed to get the apartment cleaned after insurance was figured out.

I needed to check in on my mom.

I needed to go to the DMV to get Mitch legalized. But I couldn't do that without his SSN or birth certificate. I had no idea how I'd ever be able to convince his parents to hand over his birth certificate and social security number.

I needed to get a job.

I looked down at the little piece of paper with my to-do list so far. I wasn't sure how I was gonna get through all of this. I sighed and finished my coffee before heading into the bathroom to take a shower.

After I finished, I came back out and saw Mitch standing at the table with my to-do list in his hand.

"Morning," I greeted as I finished drying my hair.

"Why do you need a new apartment?" Mitch interrogated, glaring at me.

"So your parents can't just come barging in. God only knows what they'll do next," I replied before tossing the towel in the hamper.

"You don't have enough money for a new apartment," he pointed out.

"Not right now, that's what saving up is for," I reminded him.

"Why not save up for other things? Your apartment is perfectly fine to live in," he declared as he set my to-do list down.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "You seem very offended over getting a new apartment," I informed him.

"It just seems stupid," he stated.

"I'm doing it so your parents can't hurt you anymore. I wouldn't call that stupid," I retorted, annoyed with his negativity.

"We'll call the police if they do anything again. We don't need a new apartment!" He exclaimed angrily.

"Why are—?" I started, but stopped when I realized his problem.

Alex's place isn't home.

That apartment was his first real home and I was trying to take him away from it. I sighed and nodded, "I get it, don't worry. We won't get a new apartment, ok?" I compromised softly.

He nodded, "Thank you," he murmured, "When can we go back home and not stay in this hellhole anymore?" He added bitterly.

"Well, I was planning on cleaning it up today after I talk with the insurance company. So probably tomorrow or Tuesday. Then we'll go shopping. And as for getting you legalized, I don't know how that's gonna work," I explained.

"God, I'm such a burden, maybe I should just—" he started.

"Don't even finish that, that it not gonna happen," I declared, "You're stuck with me."