Can I Really Trust Him?

[TW: Mentions of blood]

I was on my way to school and I felt really nervous.
This was because I would see Hunter again and I just don't know how to feel about him at the moment. He's lied to me before, and I have no doubt in my mind that he would not lie about something to me again.
It's just so nerve-wracking, can I really trust him?
When I got to the school gates, Luz, Gus and Amity were already there waiting for me. Gus called my name and waved while Lumity were kissing until they realised I was there and did the same.
"Good morning Willow, how are you?" Gus asked, his voice full of joy.
Because I'm normally the one who others vent to and don't want to dump the weight of my problems on their shoulders, I sucked it all in and gave a fake smile that was very convincing.
"Yeah I'm great!" I replied.
Because the four of us were all together, we then walked into the building. It was quite quiet because not a lot of people had arrived yet which was a good thing.
But as I was walking and chatting with my three friends, I hadn't been looking in the direction I was supposed to and accidentally bumped into someone.
I immediately felt bad because even though I hadn't seen their face yet, I knew that I had dropped my stuff and they had dropped their's. I bent down and handed the book they had dropped to them.
"Sorry, here you go!" I apologised and handed the book to them.
When I looked up, I saw a boy but he had a mask over his face. But from his uniform and the hair I could see, it looked like Hunter.
"Ahhh- thank you!" He replied swiftly and began running away.
The three caught up with me and also watched the boy run away.
"Hey, isn't he wearing the Golden Guard mask?" Luz asked.
"And the hair, wait- is that Hunter?" Amity added.
I sighed and then said,
"Maybe... I don't know but it did sound like him."
By that time, the bell had rung and it was now time to get to lessons. The plant lesson I had first luckily didn't have Hunter in it because he would be doing Illusions class with Gus.
I really hope he is okay though...

---

It finally came to the time where I had to get to my next class that I would be sharing with Hunter.
I felt so nervous but didn't really understand why. I mean, he hasn't done anything wrong, I'm just worried I may have upset him yesterday.
When I got into class, he luckily wasn't there yet. I had been walking with Luz so I waved goodbye to her so that we could sit down on our opposite sides of the classroom.
As seconds gone by, more and more seats were filling up. It wasn't until the last possible that the boy with the mask appeared.
I was certainly sure it was Hunter!
He crept into class and sat down next to me leaving most students confused and the teacher mortified.
"W-who are y-you?" She asked, stuttering because of how eerie the Golden Guard mask was.
"Hunter," He replied calmly like he didn't see thus was a big issue.
"W-well Hunter, why don't you take off that silly mask if yours and get started on the work!" The teacher suggested, sweating nervously.
I could tell Hunter was starting to get nervous even though I couldn't see his face. His legs were shaking and he was tapping on the table.
"I-I can't..." He mumbled in response.
Suddenly, all the students except Luz began banging on their tables to the rhythm of their shouting voices,
"TAKE IT OFF! TAKE IT OFF!"
They continued endlessly and gave glances to me and Luz for not joining in. It was painful to watch so I took hold of his hand to try and calm him down.
This obviously triggered him and he swiftly flung his hand away, accidentally taking the mask off with one swipe.
The mask fell to the floor and it revealed his face. But, it wasn't like normal. He had a bruise on his eye, a swollen nose with dried up blood stuck to it and new scars everywhere.
All the students who had once longed for him to reveal his face now recoiled in horror. Two of the students began throwing up and another passed out. Even the teacher had to stop herself from doing either one of those things.
The blonde haired boy now regretted his decision and I could see tears running down his cheeks. I felt really sorry for him and I knew I wasn't helping by not doing anything.
"Miss, could I take Hunter to first aid, please?" I asked.
"Sorry but I really need to get on with the teaching!" The teacher replied.
"Please!" I begged, "We won't disturb your lesson anymore!"
The teacher sighed,
"Fine, but do it quickly!"
I nodded and turned to Hunter. He nodded back and picked up his mask and we walked out if the classroom.
But as soon as we got out, he began running away.
"Hunter, where are you going?" I asked.
He didn't reply and if anything quickened his speed. I knew he wouldn't stop so I began chasing after him.
I wasn't the best at running but I had realised I am a lot quicker now then I used to be, it must be from all the Flyer Derby.
"Wait, please come back!" I begged.
He turned around and looked at me sorrowful and mouthed the word "sorry". But because he hadn't been looking in the direction he had been running, he accidentally ran into a locker.
I gasped in fright and then quickly ran over to help him.
"Hunter, are you okay?" I asked.
He took a deep breath and fave a thumbs up. The blonde haired boy tried to stand up but failed and it was then revealed the locker he had banged into was mine, but I didn't care, I was more concerned for him.
"Hunter, please tell me what's wrong!" I begged and then kneeled down to sit beside him.
He put his mask on and then turned away from me.
I was now really fed up so in response I turned his head so he would face me and then with my other hand, I took off the mask.
"Please, I can't bare to see you suffer!" I cried.
This one little statement had a lot of affect on him as if he had never heard someone say that to him before and more tears began spilling out.
"I... I messed up," He mumbled, covering his eyes to try and hide his tears.
I didn't understand what he meant but still tried to keep up my role of being a supportive person.
"How exactly did you mess up?" I asked.
"I tried to beat up Boscha, and failed as usual!" He said.
"Why would you do that? You barely know anything about her and she'll probably start targeting you now!" I exclaimed.
"B-because she us obviously bullying you, and I felt sorry for you so I though if I shunted her up I could... be your friend?" He explained, "I don't know, what I'm saying is probably the biggest sh-"
Before he could finish, I put a finger to his lips.
"You didn't have to do any of that! Sure, I wasn't easily convinced you were friendly after you lied to me but, you didn't have to do all of that to prove yourself to me!" I replied.
"I'm still sorry though, I've probably just made the bullying worse!" He apologised
"Probably, but at least I now trust you enough to call you my friend!" I replied.
This triggered him again and mire tears came running.
"Hey! This is supposed to be a happy moment! Come on, let's get to first aid before someone sees us!" I exclaim, looking left and right to make sure there were no teachers wandering around.
He smiled and nodded in response. Because he was still hurt, I took out my hand to help him off.
With that, we both walked to first aid, hand in hand. And I finally breathed a sigh if relief, knowing that he us finally worthy of my trust...

There Are People Out There Who Won't Make You Feel Worthless | A Huntlow Story |On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara