chapter 7

(The Link)

"I know you'd be like this you drunk too much Bora!"

[Stop talking like a mom when you're younger than me alright, and my man is here so...] Bora's voice trailed in a silly way, making Rain giggle at her.

"He said he was your friend" Rain laughed.

[Oh he did? His friend?]

Rain sensed the change in her friend's voice, making her panick a little bit, because she could tell Bora sounded offended, slightly mad even.

"No no I mean you yourself didn't want to tell me I'm sure he didn't mean it in a bad way please don't tell him-"

[Relax I'm jocking girl, we agreed on it, there's a valid reason for hiding it] said Bora through the phone.

"Do what's best for you two, I'm not questioning it, just be happy! Oh actually I'm on my way to the cafe, I called you to ask you if you could come by later, my neighbour seems very busy, and I really really can't stay with the lock broken anymore it scares me so much-"

"The lock of your house is broken?" a guy asked from behind her, making her flinch away, her fingers froze around the phone as she turned to look at him, she recognized him from uni, but she had never talked to him before.

Luckily, Bora didn't catch his voice, and so she kept talking.

[Okay, I'll come by when I'm done at the bakery, we'll fix that lock together, we don't need no man, yes sir I'll get to you right this instant- Rain gotta go love you bye] she said before hanging up.

Rain stood there awkwardly, right at the cafe's door, she wasn't one to ignore people.

"I'm sorry..?" she mumbled just a little bit above a whisper.

"That's not an information you'd want to go around saying out loud, unless you're doing it on purpose" he said, Rain's face winced a little.

"I'm sorry I have to go inside I'm kind of in a rush" she said as she tried to turn her back at him and head into the cafe, but he stopped her, gripping at her elbow agressively.

"Do that, get two of your stupid drink" he told her with a false smile.

Rain immediately linked the dots, remembering her conversation with that guy, who seemed to have a problem with her, the other day at uni, she didn't even know his name, if all he wanted was a drink, why was he so agressive about it?

"But if you don't like the drink why do you want me to get you one?-"

"I said two, bitch. You do what you're told" he said, finally letting go of her arm with a harsh push.

The guy was gone, leaving her standing there in front of the cafe, frozen in place. His harsh words echoed in her mind, piercing through her bubble of optimism and kindness. 

Her heart ached, she watched him walk away with a mean smile, and a wave of sadness washed over her. She dreaded herself for not being able to react to his words, to tell him it was very inkind of him.

Before she could take a deep recovery breath, her body almost collided with semobody else's, she was already shaken and the apology didn't seem to come out, it felt like a lump had formed in her throat, making her unable to talk.