6. Friend duties

Ivan was hesitant to break this silence because he wasn't sure how to approach Ellen, who was obviously shaken from the attack earlier.

As their shadows walked alongside them, Ivan simply hoped that Ellen would feel better soon.

Soon enough, they reached her room. Ellen slowly turned the doorknob before she glanced over her shoulder with still red eyes.

"Thank you, Sir Ivan. For saving me in that pinch earlier." She tried to express her gratitude with a smile, but all she was able to muster was a tired one.

Ivan completely understood it and never even thought that her smile was bad. He smiled too. "I'll still do it as a friend. I'll make sure to keep you safe."

"You should head in now. If you're still not sleepy, I can offer you my company. We can talk about a bunch of random things... only if you want." Ivan somehow got the courage to pursue the conversation, and to his surprise, Ellen agreed.

"A cup of cocoa would be nice." Ellen could now smile somewhat gladly. "Come in, Sir Ivan."

It took a few seconds of staring before Ivan walked in. He sat down upon Ellen's invite, and only then he realized how improper it is to be sitting alone with a maiden in the middle of the knight.

Ivan started sweating profusely at the thought of Izek finding out about this.

Shaking off his thoughts, he tried not to get bothered of it. He wasn't a pervert to begin with. He was only here to give Ellen his company, to comfort her in any way. Nothing more.

Although he reminded himself to stay calm, Ivan still flinched at the clink of the cup when Ellen served the cocoa.

Unfortunately, it didn't go unnoticed by Ellen as Ivan flinched so obviously.

"Are you alright, Sir Ivan?"

"Ah, my apologies," he somehow toned down his surprise this time. "I'm just feeling a little cold. May I throw in some more woods?" He lied through his teeth.

Not suspecting, Ellen thoughtlessly agreed to his wishes. Ivan then got up and hurried to the fireplace where he threw 1/4 of the firewood, pretending to be feeling cold.

In fact, he wasn't even cold. He was still sweating from his encounter with the monster earlier. He ran all the way to Lady Rudbeckia's room and took down the monster. Who wouldn't sweat from that?

Of course, he wouldn't say this to Ellen. So, he simply went back to his seat and enjoy the warm cup of cocoa, which soon soothed his body.

"Thank you for this, milady. I should be the one doing this, but here you are giving me a nice company instead. I'm ashamed."

Seeing his cup empty, Ellen felt a little better. She laughed lightly, "don't be sorry. You sitting here with me is already a good comfort. You don't have to do much to be a good company."

How touching. Ivan clenched his fist underneath the table, although he felt like patting Ellen on her shoulder. She was really a nice person through and through.

Letting out a sigh, he nodded in understanding as he smiled. "Izek should really learn from you. You took away all the kindness he could have."

"Thank you, but Brother can be kind too... Sometimes, or if you don't get on his nerves."

"The problem is even if I don't get on his nerves, he tries to get on mine and even has the audacity to get angry at me."

"I can only see that Brother really loves you, Sir Ivan."

"Stop it!" Ivan rubbed his arms profusely. "You're giving me goosebumps! It's so uncomfortable!"

"Izek loves you, Izek loves you, Izek loves you," Ellen made fun of him even more.