3. Ivan, mother of two

Ellen was in the middle of putting on a comfortable dress when she was informed of someone's visit. Naturally, she hurried to get dressed to receive the visitor.

"Sir Ivan, what brings you here?" asked Ellen after she went to the drawing room where the knight was seated.

Ivan made a curt bow. He was a bit hesitant to start the conversation, so he stared at his teacup for a few good seconds.

Sensing his hesitance, Ellen decided to speak first. "Have you already settled your business with my brother?"

"Ah, that... Yes." Despite his hesitance, he found himself trying to get down to the business immediately so he wouldn't inconvenience Ellen that much.

Moreover, he shouldn't shoulder the guilt of not informing her in an earlier time. This is that bastard's fault.

Keeping that in mind, Ivan somehow regained his usual confidence. "Actually, it's about you. Starting from today, I am your knight according to Izek."

The 'Huh' on Ellen's face was quite obvious. She then made her thoughts verbal after a few seconds.

"I should be the one to decide on that," she sighed. "Besides, you are going to be needed next week. I can't have you work for me. Tell Izek that I refused this arrangement."

"Oh, alright..." Ivan nodded reluctantly despite the not arriving at a decision yet. Either way, these siblings were both stubborn so he was sure to have a headache when dealing with either of them.

"I'll respect your decision, but may I ask you one thing?"

When Ellen allowed it, Ivan proceeded: "I think you should come see him with me. You know Izek well– he would be stubborn about this as well."

As well? Ellen raised her eyebrow, but she soon simply let out a sigh after she realized that this wasn't the time to argue over a little thing.

She was aware that she was just as stubborn as her brother, though. But she would appreciate it if he just kept his observation to himself.

The two then went to see Izek who was practicing outside. He didn't need to be called as he spotted the two with his peripheral vision.

Izek unsheathed his sword and wiped the dripping sweat off his forehead. "It's understandable to see you Ellen here, but Ivan? What do you need?"

"Shut up, Izek. This is no time to show off your bastard-ness." Ivan clicked his tongue.

Seeing how the two interact, Ellen could only sigh.

"I'll make this short. I refuse to have Sir Ivan as my knight."

Ellen then narrowed her eyes. "One more thing. Next time, discuss things with me before you decide. It's annoying that you keep treating me like a child."

After she said that, Ivan felt the atmosphere darken. Izek now had a dark aura around him, and he looked like he was about to snap off.

Witnessing how these two fought before, Ivan immediately mediated between the two.

"Hold your horses, you two! I know you're both aware of the reasons why it has come to this." Turning his head towards Ellen, "To dispel your worries, I will be quitting this job soon. Just think of this as my last mission as a knight." Then he turned to Izek. "Then you, discuss things with someone first before you make a decision! You're not everyone's goddamn boss!"

After he said, he noticed that two went silent. His mediation must have worked, good.

"You're quitting...?" Izek was the first to ask.

Ellen had been meaning to ask the same thing, but never came to after Izek raised the question she had in mind.

"Didn't I tell you this before?" Ivan was equally surprised as Izek. He then realized that Izek wasn't listening the time he was talking about his resignation.

"Seriously, friend? Anyway, what's important is that you both have finally learned the reason. And to answer the question you had in the tip of your tongues, I'm going to resign to focus on the countdom. I'm also getting married."

"What a surprise..."

Ellen was still looking at Ivan in awe. Meanwhile, her stony face brother was able to digest everything in just a matter of seconds.

Perhaps Izek had already expected this, he didn't just know when exactly this would happen.

After what seemed to be one minute, Ivan finally broke the silence.

"Are we clear on both sides now? Can we arrive now at a mutual decision?" Ivan gave an emphasis to the word 'mutual,' looking at the two siblings alternately.

"...Yes. I agree since, as you say, you are going to resign soon."

"I am with her as well. I'll be sure to tell you in advance next time." Izek nodded at Ellen.

Watching the two agree with each other for the first time in a while, Ivan smiled like a proud parent. He didn't say a thing about the two because of fear that it would start a fight between them. After all, these two would fight over the simplest things.

---

"Thank you for picking me up. I didn't expect to be personally escorted by my own husband. I'm sorry for taking up your time when you have things to do."

The next day, Izek went to fetch his wife. He didn't wait in the lobby for so long as his wife soon arrived at the waiting area.

Dressed in lovely pink, Ruby beamed an equally lovely smile at Izek who simply shrugged off the gesture.

"No worries. You are my priority today." He stood up and started to walk towards the exit.

"Hehe, you're so kind!" Ruby followed his lead, now walking after him with lively steps.