2. His friend, her knight

Was this union really meant to happen, or was she just unqualified to change the course of events?

After their families both reached an agreement, the Borgias immediately sent the bride on a journey to the faraway Britannia.

Which connects to the current event: Ellen, along with the other two family members especially Izek, was receiving the people from Romania in the port.

The first person that came out of the huge ship was the bride. Seeing Rudbeckia's face again, Ellen couldn't help but be reminded of their last encounter.

Clenching her fists inconspicuously, Ellen swallowed her discomfort.

"Greetings, Princess. I hope you've enjoyed the sceneries on your journey. I'm certain that it has tired you, so I prepared a room for you to rest in and some food to get your energy back."

'No, Father, she won't appreciate that–'

"Thank you for the warm welcome, Your Grace. Indeed, I will be needing some rest. I'll make sure to get back my energy soon. I would love to see more of Britannia."

Ellen thought she would only ignore her father's greetings, but to everyone's surprise, the rumored villainess of the Borgia family accepted the duke's offer with a polite smile.

Of course, it was too early to tell that she changed. This might be only a cunning strategy to leave a good impression among the people here. Either she was ordered to do that, or it was her doing alone.

Either way, it would still do harm to her family if a Borgia really went back to the past like her. She must not lower her guard.

As the Princess decided to take a rest on the place her father prepared, Ellen and her family returned to the estate.

In the past, Izek didn't come with them to receive the Princess and the envoys, but because the wedding was held much sooner, Izek was able to be there.

He was going to be busy next week, though. At this time of year, monsters would start coming out of their habitats to look for food. As humans are their primary meal, it was expected that the monsters would come for them.

Before that happens, Izek and other knights are responsible for that. Although normally a paladin like Izek would be only called for a special grade mission, the king decided to deploy him along with high ranking knights to secure the borders where monster attacks often occurred.

That said, Izek's absence means she and her father would have to accompany the Princess just like before.

Noticing something was bothering her, Izek decided to ask.

"Were you thinking about the Princess?"

"Ah. Yes, I was thinking about her. She didn't seem like the person she was rumored to be."

"Don't be fooled this early, Ellen. Borgias have a lot of talents, acting might be one of those." Izek replied, crossing his arms as he looked out the window.

Despite his grumpiness, Ellen was somehow relieved to hear him say that. "I know. I'm just saying her appearance is very captivating."

"You should've said that from the start."

Izek might not have rolled his eyes, but Ellen felt like he had done so in his mind.

Soon enough, they reached the gates of their estate.

When the carriage door opened, Ellen didn't expect Izek's friend to open the door for her. He even held out his hand to help her get off the carriage safely.

"Thank you, Sir Ivan. Are you here for Izek?"

The dashing blond shot a look at her brother before looking at her with now a pleasant smile.

"Yes, he said he has business with me."

"He is yours. I'll get going now."

"Have a good day ahead, milady." Ivan bowed curtly and Ellen reciprocated it with an acknowledging nod.

After Ellen entered the mansion only then Ivan spoke. Running his fingers through his hair, he leaned on the carriage door and folded his arms.

"Aren't you going to get off? Or are you planning to discuss your business with me in this carriage?"

"Get out of my way then." Izek sighed as he got off the carriage.

"You really have the nerve to treat me this way, my dear friend! You made me rush all the way here! You should be kissing my feet right now!"

"Don't be so dramatic, Ivan. Business talks now, the reason why I called you is because starting from today, you're Ellen's knight."

Even though Izek had said it clearly, Ivan reacted as if he didn't understand a word he just said.

"I'm Ellen's knight, did I hear that right?"

"Yes, you fool."

"You bastard, you think it wasn't surprising for me?! Why am I Ellen's knight all of a sudden?"

Izek only sighed at the unpleasant noises Ivan made. Looking at his friend again, he replied with a sarcastic question.

"What is a knight hired for?"

"Protection," Ivan immediately answered. Realizing that Izek was smirking at him for being so stupid, he clenched his fists in frustration.

"If only you're not my senior, I would've kicked you already in the shin. You're goddamn annoying, Izek."

After calming himself down, Ivan proceeded to inquire for further details.

"Is your sister in danger?"

"Yes," Izek's answer came out quick. "The Pope's daughter will arrive in the estate soon. Although I believe she wouldn't attempt to harm her with our family knights around, she might still do something, like ordering someone to do the dirty job for her."

Understanding Izek's point, Ivan nodded his head. Indeed, the Borgia girl would be a great threat not only to Ellen but to everyone's safety, although it was ironic that she was practically a hostage here.

Not having any more questions, Ivan eventually agreed to the job Izek entrusted to him.

Ivan then remembered his encounter with Ellen earlier. She seemed to be not aware of this.

"Did you make me accept this job before informing Ellen that I am now her knight?"

To his annoyance, Izek confidently nodded his answer.

"Well, now that you know, you can start working now."

Izek then walked away, leaving Ivan speechless on the mansion doorstep.

Oh really, that goddamned man!