1.

I sat at the bar of my favorite restaurant in the busy city of Houston Texas, sipping on a Moscow mule

I sat at the bar of my favorite restaurant in the busy city of Houston Texas, sipping on a Moscow mule. I let the sweet but tart ginger beer and lime beverage linger on my tongue before I went in for another sip. The harsh vodka aftertaste gave me a rush that I was longing for to take the edge off my day.

As I watched the flickering candle lights danced against the warm, vanilla pigmented cozy walls. I thought back... remembering that this place held so many memories for me – memories of laughter, love, and now heartbreak.

My ex-husband and I used to come here often, indulging in the delicious Tex Mex food and soaking in the romantic ambiance. But now, he was nothing more than a distant memory, a ghost of the past that haunted my thoughts.

It had been 6 years that me and him had been divorced and 5 since he had been in prison for killing a man who had shown mere interest in me. I figured that him being out the streets and behind bars would help me feel safer and relaxed but unfortunately that wasn't the case. His boys still popped up on me occasionally, scaring potential lovers off while trying to get me to speak with Jay from time to time. Although I missed what we had before the incident, I couldn't see him in prison.

I couldn't bare to have our children see their father in that environment. And i really didn't want Jay to know anything about my life outside of where we left off years ago.

As I finished my meal and paid my bill, I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. Another lonely night in this familiar place, surrounded by happy couples and smiling families. I longed for something – or someone – to fill the void that had settled in my chest.

"Another bad night?" The bartender said to me softly.

I nodded my head slowly and then took a sip of my Moscow mule. "The usual Clark. Just a lonely single mom, I may just become a cat lady."

Just as I was about to succumb to my melancholy thoughts, a man approached me. He was a 6-foot-tall man with beautiful chocolate skin and piercingly warm brown orbs that seemed to see right through me. He flashed me a charming smile and asked if he could join me.

His Tom Ford suit was tailored to fit his physique and that's when I knew in that moment that he came from money.

I observed him in all his glory. From his scruffy yet full brows, to his well-defined jawline & right back up to his full, plump, and visibly soft lips.

I hesitated, unsure of his intentions. But something about him tugged at my heart, a small spark of hope igniting within me. I nodded, and he took a seat beside me, introducing himself as Dontrell.

 I nodded, and he took a seat beside me, introducing himself as Dontrell