meet

First days are like waking up with a new phone update – exciting, nerve-wracking, and filled with unexpected glitches. As I stepped into the bustling halls of Riverside Middle School, my heart did the Cha-Cha Slide, unsure of whether to slide to the left or to the right.

ELA. The land of essays, Shakespeare, and the occasional stray pencil rolling off desks. I found my way to Room 208, clutching my notebook like a life raft. As I entered, a wave of relief washed over me. No chaotic whirlwind, just desks arranged in neat rows and the steady hum of anticipation.

I settled into an empty seat, feeling like a solitary island in a sea of possibilities. Little did I know, destiny had other plans – and his name was Gianmarco Rivera.

He sauntered into the classroom with the casual confidence of someone who knew the school like the back of their hand. His easy smile and warm brown eyes lit up the room like a spotlight, and for a moment, I forgot how to breathe.

"Hey, is this seat taken?" he asked, gesturing to the empty desk beside me. His voice was smooth, like melted chocolate drizzling over strawberries.

"N-no, it's all yours," I stammered, mentally kicking myself for sounding like a malfunctioning robot.

He flashed me a grateful grin before settling into the seat, effortlessly sliding into conversation like a seasoned pro. As we exchanged introductions and shared a laugh over our shared distaste for Mondays, I felt a spark – not the cheesy rom-com kind, but the genuine warmth of connection.

Gianmarco wasn't like anyone I'd ever met before. He was easy to talk to, genuine, and there was something about him that made my heart feel like it was doing somersaults in a field of daisies.

As Mrs. Johnson began her spiel on the wonders of literature, I couldn't help but steal glances at Gianmarco, feeling a giddy excitement bubbling up inside me. Who knew that the first day of eighth grade would bring with it the promise of new friendships – and maybe, just maybe, something more?a