Chapter 10

Jace found himself once again within a carriage being hauled over the frozen lands with Momoka. Though this time his company allowed him to be a little more informal. Lynn sat beside him and across from him was April and Nikita, the reason they were making this trip.

As April was growing in her training Gaufrid had become increasingly more impressed with her. Therefore he had given her her first solo demon hunting task. April had promised Lynn that she would take Lynn along. Lynn in her excitement had told Jace and Jace remembered Momoka's curiosity about demons so therefore they were both coming along. Nikita was also extended an invitation which she actually accepted despite the expectations of many. April's thoughts on the matter were silent but she couldn't say no to the Princess' enthusiasm.

It was a rather long journey down to the closeby mortal town in which the issue presented itself. In the frozen land they lived rarely did mortals also live. Momoka had long since fallen asleep, her head resting on the side of the carriage rather than on the very intimidating April.

April locked eyes with Jace. "I am expecting you to protect her if anything goes south."

"Of course," Jace said softly.

"That means I don't want you to attack, that role will be Lynn and myself only, you are allowed to observe as you have requested. Same goes for you Nikita."

Jace nodded. "I understand."

"Sure," Nikita said, clearly not really paying much attention.

"Good," April paused for a second, "it would reflect horribly on me if I allowed anything bad to happen to you."

Jace smiled gently. "Nervous?"

April looked out the window.

"What kind of a question is that Jace? Of course she is," Lynn said a little too loudly.

Momoka stirred and Lynn put a hand over her mouth.

"You've been on many demon hunts before April, this will be fine," Jace said, trying to reassure April.

She bristled a little. "We usually don't take the heir to the throne with us."

They stepped out of the carriage into the deep dark of night, of course it was always night this time of the year but it seemed particularly dark, all of the Phoenix had their eyes shining at a dim glow. Momoka stuck close to Jace. She had seemed a little tired when she had awoken in the carriage but now she was on high alert and very vigilant as the cold wrapped around her body.

Jace skimmed over the village, it seemed completely abandoned. April had told him that the demon had caused chaos and they had all fled.

April was on the hunt though and led the group into the village fearlessly. Lynn followed close behind, clearly not having the same training as April but just as eager for it.

Nikita walked behind Momoka and Jace, seeming to be bored by the whole thing, as if the trip wasn't completely optional for her.

Momoka was trying her best to keep her trembling to herself and not allow the Phoenix to notice. Hopefully the fact that they never looked at her directly would keep it hidden. It wasn't completely the cold that was making her tremble too. She was curious yet scared of what she was about to witness. Jace was a form of comfort for her allowing her to stay close to him. She felt a little awkward getting so close into his personal space but he was a comfort. Even in the cold air that almost burned her nose, his scent calmed her. It was smokey and spicy with the softness of lavender, and closer to him she could smell it even stronger it overtook her senses and she was fine with that.

She wasn't sure what a Demon was meant to smell like anyway.

The tracks in the snow Momoka could read through, the people of this village had left in a hurry. Likely fleeing. This demon had tormented them.