Chap 27 : Daughter's first kiss

Start from the beginning

"Hey", we say in unison and then chuckle.

"So..", he trails and I remember that he actually came for a reason.

"Oh yeah come in", I say opening the door more to let him in. He walks in, bag behind his back adjusting his hood.

"Nice house", he comments looking around.

"Uh thanks", I say and he shoots a quick smile at me.

"I'm.. I'm not escaping it", he says ever so slowly so I walk closer and he notices my hindered steps. "Are you okay?", he asks with concern laced with his tone.

"Yeah I just, sprained my ankle", I say and he mouths an oh.

"Sorry about that", he says and I nod.

"What aren't you escaping?", I ask not wanting the statement to slide off.

He sighs taking his bag off, then drops it on the floor beside the couch where he takes a seat. I join him. "There's this dumb study camp thing rumor that's going round..",

"Oh, it's not a rumor. It's an actual thing and it's like I'm not escaping it either", I say thinking about my P.E grade.

Hernandez scoffs, "I'm dead", he says placing his head in his hands whilst shaking it lightly.

"What?", I ask.

"If my tutor says she's not escaping it then I'm toast. I should just quit school. Shits getting harder", he says and I chuckle.

"What should we start with today?", I ask and he reaches for his bag, unzips it then pulls out a big textbook. He places it on the space between us on the couch.

"Math?", I question and he nods.

"Okay so do you remember the steps I gave you in solving an equation", I ask and he looks far off before looking back at me.

"Number 1, Define and identify your variable.. um number 2, write an equation that uses the variable..", he pauses for a while. When he says nothing for almost a minute I try to help him out but he sticks a hand out to stop me from speaking so I shut it.

"Aha number 3, solve the equation and then lastly.. If the variable is not the correct answer to the word problem, use that variable to figure out the answer..",

"You did it", I exclaim and the bright smile on his face makes me smile too, shows that he's eager to learn unlike Asher.

"Okay so why don't we try solving an equation with those steps", I say and he rubs the back of his neck sheepishly.

"You see that's the problem, the actual solving is just way too hard", he says then slouches on the couch.

"It's okay. We'll get there", I assure him and he nods with a small smile which I return.

**

By the end of the lesson Hernandez solves over five equations and although he got three wrong I'm proud of the other two he got correctly. I help him redo the ones he failed and give him take home equations so he can study them later.

"So.. are we just gonna keep avoiding the pay talk", he says as I flip through his geography textbook.

"I told you I'm not taking charges. This is free", I say and he shifts seeming uncomfortable with the matter. "You're my friend, there's no need for that", I say and he looks at me.

"Thanks", Hernandez says calmly and I nod.

"Now let's get into it", I say opening to a certain page, "Geography can be a little tricky sometimes especially when it comes to map reading or discussions on longitudes and latitudes but there's always a way to it".

"You live alone?", he asks out of the blue and I put a hold on geography for a second.

"No, My mum went to her book club meeting", I say and he nods.

"Oh, for a second there I thought you lived alone", he says and I shake my head. He yawns and it's so contagious that I join in.

I guess he's getting tired perhaps a little snack will make him more active. I walk to the kitchen to get some fruit bars from the fridge. I walk back into the living room handing him one.

"A little snack to keep you up", I say and he takes it from me letting out a thank you in my way. I smile opening my fruit bar wrapper.

"So uh.. apart from drawing what other things do you like?", he asks taking a bite out of his fruit bar. I've never been asked about my interest so this is a first. I smile to myself but then stop so I won't look weird.

I look up hoping he didn't notice anything, "Um.. well, eating", I say then sigh, "But it's the one thing I need to get away from so..", I trail with an awkward chuckle.

"It's okay. Everyone has their habits.. I um.. is it weird that I like shaving my head?", he questions and my eyes move to his head. I notice how the hair on his head looks lower than last week.

"You cut your hair?", I ask and he nods.

"Yeah, I don't like keeping it", he says.

"If you do then we'll loose buzz", I say and we share a laugh.

"Nah I won't..", he trails with a smile directed at me, "Buzz will always be here", and for some reason the way he says it holds so much.. importance.

I give out a single nod then smile. "So what's your favorite food?", he asks and unknowingly I place the textbook down and sit more comfortably. Hernandez moves closer.

"Anything with ham I guess", I say then ask, "What about you?".

"I could literally eat anything", he says and I chuckle. Kinda like me too.

"Favorite color?",

"Mmm, I'm thinking white because I like white roses", I say and he nods.

"I don't think I have a favorite but blacks fine", he says and my eyes go to his black hoodie.

"Don't you feel hot?", I ask because it's starting to get concerning.

"Sometimes but right now I think it's because of you", he says taking his arm over my head so it's resting on the couch.

My cheeks immediately flare up. He did not just say that to me. Breath Abby, breath.. you can out live this.. it's just a harmless comment.

"Uh.. so, where were we?", I ask.

"How hot you're making this place?", he asks and I gulp. He's not letting it go is he?.

"I..", I trail not knowing what to say. I watch as Hernandez pulls even closer and my breath hitches up my throat. Dear lord what's happening? Is this your daughter's first kiss? Could it be?..