Oprah Interview: Fantasia (Part 1)

I stepped out of the steamy shower grabbing my towel wrapping it around my body. I wiped my feet placing them my bathroom slippers before walking over to the foggy mirror. I wipe the mirror with the palm of my hand to vacate an area of the mirror so I can examine my face.

I look at my sunken eyes and crazy bed hair from my wrap slipping off last night. Thankful I have the interview today so I'll just compensate with wearing a baseball cap till then. I reach for the dental hygiene products in the cabinet under the sink.

By now, part of the mirror has cleared up so I walk to the window to ventilate the space and clear the fog.

The more I brushed my pearly whites, the more my thoughts turned in my mind. I spit out the toothpaste calling out my HomePod to play some music, it plays my common playlist. I answer back, thank you Siri, as if she can hear me.

Music compensates for the silence that was a playground for my ruminating thoughts. I've thought about Taraji for the past couple of days. Although we have not seen each other since the weekend, we've messaged and talked over the phone. Giving her some space with her son was appropriate and necessary.

I walk back into the room to the black loungewear I had laid out on the bed. I find the body lotion and set it down next to me pumping it in the center of my palm. I rub my hands together warming it up before applying it to my leg.

My phone rings and I look at my palms that are both covered in lotion. I wipe them on my upper thigh trying to get most of it off. I grab the phone but it's too late, the ringing stopped. I wait for the missed call notification to pop up in the Notification Center. The caller ID says Unknown so I place it down on the side of me and continue on with the bottle of lotion.

I look over my arms and legs to make sure I applied enough lotion before I rub some on my stomach. My phone rings again and the caller ID appears: Unknown. I pause glancing at my hands contemplating picking it up. I quickly wipe the front and back of my hands on my stomach.

Fantasia: ...

I wait in silence for the other person on the other end to speak. I pull down my screen to the control center to pause the music on the HomePod. The silence remains and before I can hang up the call I hear a familiar voice. Rage surges through my limbs ending the call before any words are exchanged.

I pick my phone unlocking it, opening the phone app to block the number. Speaking to Sir. today of all days is the last thing I want to do. I check my emails with my lawyer for updates on the restraining order. I've been granted a temporary restraining order due to the timeliness of my request, I put down my phone in frustration letting out a grunt. What the fuck does this man want from me? I speak out loud asking myself.

I put on the black loungewear and walk to the closet trying to locate a baseball cap. I find a white hat with black embroidered lettering. Lingering in front of the mirror the glimmer from the rings that I've been so accustomed to wearing caught my eyes. I look down at the rings wondering why I never questioned why I still had them on. I mainly wore it for the media but today was different. Swiftly, I remove them and set them on the marble top counter in my jewelry case.

I hear my phone chime followed by it ringing again, I slowly make my way out of the closet. I'm certainly in no haste to pick up the phone for it to read Unknown. Turning over the phone it read MY SUGAH 💜, with a missed text and call.