un.

You shift in your chair, trying desperately to find some semblance of comfort in a place ruled by the absence of safety. There is always risk in hospitals. Lives constantly in danger. People finding out terrible news. The possibility of infection. Maybe worst of all, beginning to feel nothing. You were no stranger to hospitals now. Sleeping in this chair night after night was more common than your own bed. The cries of the waiting rooms no longer even phase you. But that's what we do for love.

You lift your head off of your jacket that is working as a makeshift pillow against the rain streaked window. It's early in the morning, the sun hasn't even poked her head over the horizon. She too is hiding from reality. You wipe the lingering sleep from your eyes and feel the slight crust underneath them. You must have been crying in your sleep again. You almost wince. Hopefully no one heard you.

You take a breath to steady yourself before slowly rising from the chair. You would think that because so many people sleep in the hospital chairs that they would be more comfortable, but alas the tiny cushion on the plastic chair did nothing to stop the ache from growing in your body. After folding the blanket that covered you just minutes ago, you set it on the chair and turn around. You walk the distance to your lover's bedside, which is about three steps in the hospital room you've basically been living in. You gently grab his hand as he sleeps.

He's been sleeping a lot lately. It's hard for him to be awake. He was diagnosed with COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, about a year ago. It wasn't a complete surprise when you found out. He had trouble breathing for about as long as you knew him. You had started off as coworkers at the flower shop near your college. He would always go out back to smoke on his breaks. Desperate for a friend, you had started following him out there to talk, though you always would refuse his offers of a cigarette. Nicholas must've needed someone too because you both were quickly friends. You didn't have a ton in common, especially with him being six years your senior, but you had enough to talk about.

-

You gingerly closed the metal door to the alley behind the flower shop. Nicholas was already out there, sitting on top of the huge dumpster that housed their recycle. He already had a lit cigarette in his hand, which you guessed was at least his third of the day. As the door clicked behind you, he looked over at you with a small smile on his handsome face. Nick was taller than you with curly black hair and brown eyes that could melt any heart. No matter what shirt he wore, you could see tattoos peeking out of the hemmed edges.

"Hey, [Name]. What's the song of the day?" He took another puff.

"All The Same. Sick Puppies. Old, but still a great album overall. You?" You set your tote bag on the lid of the dumpster before lifting yourself on there.

"Damn. Good choice. I see your 2007 and raise you Plans album by Death Cab for Cutie. Or is that a little too old for you?" He winked, and you started to feel your face heat up.

"Six years, Nick. You're not exactly my grandpa." You said, with a raise of your eyebrow and he laughed.

"You may have a point there. What's that?" He nudged your shoulder with his, as you rummaged around in your bag.

"Just humour me with this one." You pulled out two Zotz from your bag. "They're called Zotz. It's a sour candy but with a twist. You want cherry or blue raspberry?"

As an effort to get him to stop smoking, you've brought him a new candy every time you have a shift together. Nick had held fast for a month, not liking a single candy you brought. You had tried everything from chocolate to sour to fruity, but you never gave up.

"Blue raspberry, of course. Is that even a question?" He joked and held out his hand to you, while putting out his cigarette with the other. You dropped the small candy into his hand.