"What are you doing here? Last I heard, you were stationed in Germany." You said with a wide smile on your face.

"I didn't want to reenlist, so I just came back home when my contract was up. I've missed you, sunshine. I'm sorry I didn't keep in touch."

"Hey, I'm as much at fault as you are. I've missed you, too."

You hugged him again and he lowered his lips to your ear.

"You're even more beautiful than the last time I saw you, Y/n." He whispered and his hand discretely caressed along the small of you back.

A shiver ran down your spine as his hot breath caressed your skin. His stubble scratched at your cheek as he placed a kiss on your temple. Bucky had never called you beautiful or touched you like that before. While you considered Bucky your friend, you would be lying if you said you had never felt something other than friendship for him. You were sixteen the first time you felt the sting of jealousy.

Bucky was walking home with you after school and he was telling you about a date he had the following day with one of the most beautiful girls in your school. You told yourself that it was because your best friend had a date and you didn't or because you were worried he was going to devote all of his time to this girl and forget about you. It took you a year to realize that you were jealous because you had a crush on him. You kept your feelings to yourself because it was Bucky. Your friendship was more important to you than a small crush.

"Okay, that's enough hugging." Steve said as he stepped up beside you and Bucky.

Bucky reluctantly released you and took a step back. His eyes locked with yours for a moment before Steve guided you to a group of his and Nat's friends. You looked over your shoulder to steal a glance at Bucky and found him watching you as some girls tried to strike up a conversation with him. Steve called your attention back to the group and you smiled lightly as you half-heartedly listened to him brag about you to his friends.

By the end of the night, you were exhausted. As much as you loved your mom and dad, they swept you around the room stopping to have a conversation with everyone about how proud of you they were and how you already had several job offers lined up. You were grateful for their support and the pride they felt for you, but the attention made you uncomfortable. Most of the time your attention slipped away from the conversation and you found your eyes wandering around the room searching for a pair of beautiful blue eyes.

It wasn't hard to spot Bucky amongst the crowd. He was the most handsome man there and he stood out among all the others. More than once, you found his gaze already on you when you searched the room for him. The moment your eyes landed on him, his intense gaze softened and the corners of his lips would turn up into a small smile. You returned his smile every time before turning your attention back to your parents and the people they were talking to.

A few hours after entering the restaurant and being paraded around, you fell into a booth against the back wall and kicked your feet up in the seat. A heavy sigh parted your lips and your head fell back against the wall. You let your eyes close, enjoying the alone time, until you felt your legs being lifted and then placed gently on someone's thighs. Your eyes popped open and you saw Bucky with a cheeky smirk on his face.

"You're a hard woman to get alone, sunshine." Bucky massaged his hand up and down your calf like he used to when the two of you would watch movies and you'd throw your legs over his lap.

"Yeah, well, blame mom and dad. They took it upon themselves to make sure I spoke to everyone." You chuckled. "I haven't seen your mom around. Where is she?"

"Working the night shift at the hospital. She wanted me to pass on her apologies for missing your party and invite you and your parents over for dinner tomorrow night if you aren't busy."