Chapter One 🗡

"History is written by the victors

"History is written by the victors."

SHE COULD NOT FIGHT THEM. Not even if she tried. The hands grabbing at her arms were like stone, their minds like impenetrable walls she could not seem to break through.

No matter how much she tried.

No matter how much she begged.

The streets of the small, hidden village were filled with people like her own-or had used to be like her own-their pointed ears telling her they heard her screams, yet just could not bother themselves to help the fourteen-year old girl. Even as they saw her dragged away by the soldiers wearing that familiar red color.

"HELP!" the girl cried, lifting her feet from the ground in hopes it might slow them down enough that her family might find her. But their grip on her arms was unyielding and unbreakable. They would not be slowed and they would not be stopped.

The girl could feel the cool cobbles on her bare feet as she kicked through steps, the stones cooled through the way of night. They'd broken in as they slept, stealing her away in the dead of night when she could not fight back.

The fourteen-year old did not need to ask who had sent them. She knew. Had known she was coming for as long as her new heart beat in her chest. That she would not rest until the girl was rid of.

The female had come for her once-had done such devastating things to her that it did not surprise the girl that she would again.

And this time...the girl knew it would be the last.

It had been by chance that she had gotten away the first, that despite what the female had done to her the young girl had run until her feet were bloodied and scarred, run until the breath in her lungs felt like acid falling down her throat.

But the girl could not go back. She just could not.

She just needed to stall them. Just for a moment. Her brother would come for her. He would save her.

She chanted the words to herself as if she were lifting the prayer into the wind and hoping the God's could hear them. The girl hoped they would, that they'd listen.

Save her.

Send her brother.

Send anything to stop the fate that loomed before her.

But the gods did not answer. They never did.

And she was dragged further through the village toward the coast. The ocean she had used to love so much was becoming clearer and clearer as the sun began to tease the horizon. The watery light of dawn beginning to grow more and more vivid as she was forced away from all she had come to know.