Chapter 6: Byproduct part 2

Getting out of the car, I observed the battle unfolding beneath the overpass-like structure of the highway.

Misaka, a Level 5 esper who cleverly employs the card of electricity, seemed to be facing some difficulty against the versatile esper, Kiyama, who had already displayed more than ten cards through observation.

Well, Misaka was probably holding back her power to the extent of knocking Kiyama unconscious, considering that killing her would deprive them of the chance to obtain a treatment method. Not to mention, the healing program is currently in the possession of Uiharu, and there's no need to reveal that just yet.

"...Can't you just stop already? I just want to investigate something. Your goal is to capture me and make me reveal a way to help the students who fell into a coma, right? Rest assured, once my business is done, I intend to release the students. No one will be sacrificed. So, could you step back?"

"Don't mess with me! Saying no one will be sacrificed after involving so many people in your selfish goals... playing with people's hearts... a research that can't succeed without doing something like this is a piece of shit! There's no way I can overlook something like that!"

Misaka openly displayed her anger at Kiyama's words. While I understand what she wants to convey, I can't fully agree with Misaka's stance. Even as a Level 5, she's ultimately a sheltered young lady.

"...Do you seriously believe that the ability development you undergo daily is 100% safe and humanitarian?"

"What do you mean?"

"The higher-ups in Academy City are hiding something significant related to abilities. Most people aren't aware of it. Even the teachers who routinely stir up children's brains... do they truly understand how dangerous it is?"

"...That sounds like an interesting story. I'll catch you and investigate thoroughly!"

While Misaka was slightly bothered by Kiyama's words, she decided to continue the battle and investigate "later."

Using the power of electricity, she manipulated the black sand-likely iron sand-from the ground, creating multiple spears to attack Kiyama. However, Kiyama defended against the spears by deploying rubble with telekinesis or something similar.

"Unfortunately, I can't let myself get caught yet."

Kiyama used telekinesis to move a nearby trash can filled with numerous cans over her. Then, she scattered the cans towards Misaka.

Upon realizing the impending explosion, Misaka unleashed an electric attack, destroying the cans. However, cans sent flying through spatial manipulation appeared behind Misaka in an instant, causing a large explosion.

The smoke from the explosion obscured visibility. Oh well, there's no helping it. I should descend.

♢♦♢

Beyond the wall created by her abilities, the landscape resembled more of a cleared, dry area.

"I thought it would be more of a struggle... Is this all a Level 5 can do? You can hold a grudge if you want."

With a nonchalant declaration to the fallen Misaka, Kiyama turned on her heel.

But...

"I caught you."

"Huh!"

Feeling a hand around her abdomen from behind, a shiver ran down her spine. When she turned around, she expected to see Misaka on the ground.

"Idiot! There's no way you could stand after that level of impact!"

"I created an impromptu shield with magnetism!"